SLX hose shortening question please

Darra8
Darra8 Posts: 721
edited January 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,

Just got a new set of SLX brakes from Merlin and they are way too long. I have read how to do it, and seen the Shimano download on how to do it without re bleeding, but just need to check a few things.

Do I use the supplied yellow block to put in between the pistons before pumping the leavers, as it looks too wide to let the pistons out very much?

Should I keep the hose upright as much as possible to stop the oil from coming out?

Any other tips would also be good before I start.

Thanks,

Steve
40 year old pussy who "still" hates the thought of falling off!!

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    No, the yellow block is for holding the pistons all the way back when bleeding so that you don't overfill.

Yes.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • hainman
    hainman Posts: 699
    Watch for oil dripping out the levers...I done a mates front Deore last night and a wee bit of fluid dripped out and the brake is kinda spongy....might be handy to have a wee bottle of mineral oil handy for precaution...i also noticed one piston moved more than the other so be carefull when pumping as to not go to far or they will come out and cause major ball ache....
    Giant Reign 2
    Crohnie
  • Darra8
    Job done, although I had trouble getting the pistons to go back in. I had to open the cap of the reservoir a little before they would go back. A little bit of fluid came out. Is this OK?

Thanks.
  • hainman
    hainman Posts: 699
    yeh you need the cap open to let the air out you might need a wee top up
    Are the brakes sharp or spongy??
    Giant Reign 2
    Crohnie
  • Darra8
    hainman wrote:
    yeh you need the cap open to let the air out you might need a wee top up
    Are the brakes sharp or spongy??

There is very little travel in the front, so I would say they are OK, but the back has more travel. They are brand new though, I have haven't even ridden with them yet, so can't really tell.