Bianchi or De Rosa?

Dregsi76
Dregsi76 Posts: 17
edited January 2013 in Road beginners
I'm loving de rosa at present, dunno why but they are beauties. Is it worth the money? Is bianchi better. When I replace my cube Peleton pro I fancy something sexy and I understand these to be just that. Any thoughts?

Comments

• nochekmate
    nochekmate Posts: 3,460
    Yes, they are both just bikes, so don't really see where sexy comes into play - sorry lacking humour today.

Bianchi, De Rosa, Pinarello etc all conjure up images in people's minds (for some it equates to sex :shock: ) of some luxury Italian ideal when in reality their modern day connection to Italy is often by name only but leaves people still wanting to pay over the odds for the name.
  • lotus49
    lotus49 Posts: 763
    I think "sexy" is in the eye of the beholder. Your question is a bit like asking one of your mates to decide who you should go out with on the basis of who they think is sexy.

Pick a bike that you think is sexy, but don't expect her to fancy you back :wink: .
  • bobones
    bobones Posts: 1,215
    Bianchi is really the Raleigh (of old) of Italian bikes. Not an exclusive or boutique brand at all.
  • Not sure I agree with the comparison with Raleigh, but what we are talking about is reasonably high end bikes that are widely available. Most manufacturers have a range of bikes that fit that description, so comparing with (solely) Raleigh is a little unkind.

Bianchi are possibly more akin to Alfa Romeo (without the questionable service record) in the car world. They have pedigree, they have a certain cache, but no, they are not unique, and they are at somewhat of a premium if all you are concerned with is statistics. How they ride/drive and how they make you feel are more esoteric and how can you put a price tag on that?

Life is about more than a gram or two here or the exact number of titanium bolts that have been used. Choose the bike that will make you want to go out and ride the damned thing, which even though your head knows the frame was made in Korea, your heart can over ride it with images of it being assembled lovingly by hand in Milan.

La passione ci guida or Vorsprung durch technik?
    Pride and joy: Bianchi Sempre
    Commuting hack: Cube Nature
  • jotko
    jotko Posts: 457
    My Cinelli has a made in Taiwan sticker on the bottom lol
  • When I said sexy I was referring to it in the Ferrari, Ducati Italian exotica. My actual question was supposed to ask which is best of the 2
  • lotus49
    lotus49 Posts: 763
    jotko wrote:
    My Cinelli has a made in Taiwan sticker on the bottom lol

And most Italian bikes that don't should have.
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    If you want an Italian bike that looks awesome, get a Basso
  • If you want an Italian bike that looks awesome, get a Basso
    Basso?
  • Wilier
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Dregsi76 wrote:
    Basso?

Yes Basso. Nothing to do with Ivan either.

Small family business and their frames/forks ARE handmade in Italy.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/77946148@N ... hotostream
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • jonomc4
    jonomc4 Posts: 891
    I have a DeRosa 838 - it is fecking awesome! You go buy what you like best and feel most comfortable on.
  • pak-man
    pak-man Posts: 76
    jonomc4 wrote:
    I have a DeRosa 838 - it is ******* awesome! You go buy what you like best and feel most comfortable on.

^^ this (and the R838 is ******* awesome)
  • Colnago?

Go choose and build .......... Campagnalo only on an Italian though ......... :
    http://www.buildityourway.co.uk/roadbike.php

In terms of creating an image of style you have to admit the Italians have it. If you named a top end sports saloon 'Jones Fourdoor' you'd be laughed at. Call it a Maserati Quatreporte and it all changes.
  • letap73
    letap73 Posts: 1,608
    smidsy wrote:
    Dregsi76 wrote:
    Basso?

Very very cheap for Italian hand built and with Athena groupset:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/basso-astra-athena-2011/
  • I'll put my hand up for Bianchi, but you probably guessed that already.
  • letap73 wrote:
    smidsy wrote:
    Dregsi76 wrote:
    Basso?

WHAT AN ABSOLUTE BARGAIN!
  • Not sure I agree with the comparison with Raleigh, but what we are talking about is reasonably high end bikes that are widely available. Most manufacturers have a range of bikes that fit that description, so comparing with (solely) Raleigh is a little unkind.

Bianchi are possibly more akin to Alfa Romeo (without the questionable service record) in the car world. They have pedigree, they have a certain cache, but no, they are not unique, and they are at somewhat of a premium if all you are concerned with is statistics. How they ride/drive and how they make you feel are more esoteric and how can you put a price tag on that?

Life is about more than a gram or two here or the exact number of titanium bolts that have been used. Choose the bike that will make you want to go out and ride the damned thing, which even though your head knows the frame was made in Korea, your heart can over ride it with images of it being assembled lovingly by hand in Milan.

La passione ci guida or Vorsprung durch technik?

This guy talks sense! - So what if its made in Taiwan if you want to think of being hand crafted in Italy and due to that you get pleasure when ridding it, and ultimately that gets you out on your bike more often than if you were riding a Giant or Trek then believe away!
  • letap73 wrote:
    smidsy wrote:
    Dregsi76 wrote:
    Basso?

WHAT AN ABSOLUTE BARGAIN!

Shame it's not available in my size :-(
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    This guy talks sense! - So what if its made in Taiwan if you want to think of being hand crafted in Italy and due to that you get pleasure when ridding it, and ultimately that gets you out on your bike more often than if you were riding a Giant or Trek then believe away!

In that case, why not believe your Trek or Giant is lovingly hand made on the shores of Lake Como then as well? :wink:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • smoggysteve
    Cos Treks are ridden by drugs cheats!!
  • nochekmate
    Cos Treks are ridden by drugs cheats!!

If we did not ride bikes with these associations, then we could probably rule out riding bikes from most of the major manufacturers, including some of the pseudo-Italian brands.
  • smoggysteve
    Some of the pseudo Italian brands had a name and reputation before the drugs even entered the sport. Whereas some names were only made famous by the cheats who rode them.
  • nochekmate
    Some of the pseudo Italian brands had a name and reputation before the drugs even entered the sport. Whereas some names were only made famous by the cheats who rode them.

Can you date that exactly then?
  • smoggysteve
    If you mean can I date drugs cheats, I would say the very date they started making them illegal. Before that DATE they were not cheating if there was no law to break.

If people were taking PES's before they were made illegal then so be it. As soon as they do ban them, anyone who breaches the rules in a blatant cheat. And they further use over the years of taking them and gaining success from it is even more despicable.
  • smoggysteve
    And, as far as the Tour de France goes, That DATE was June 1965
  • nochekmate wrote:

Can you date that exactly then?

I think it was some time in 1886, so to be on the safe side, we'll say any manufacturers around before that date are fine.

Anyone think of a brand?

Anyone?

Anyone?

Bueller?
  • springtide9
    springtide9 Posts: 1,731
    edited January 2013

Read this:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Race-Madmen-His ... 0007433247

Drugs and extreme endurance sports have gone hand in hand since time began. Not sure why you singled out Trek. I guess because of LA... but in LA's reign, you'd be pushed to find any cyclist that finished in the top 20 at any prestigious event, that was riding clean.

If you want a brand ridden only by 'clean' riders, you'd best hope would be to look something without any pedigree or a brand that wasn't used for professional racing.

As for choosing an Italian frame... I like the look of the Guerciotti frames from PX:
    http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/c/q/fra ... tti_frames

Personally I'd get something that was either great value or unique [ but obviously, 'you like' ]
    Simon