Cheap waterproof.

Myster101
Myster101 Posts: 856
edited January 2013 in MTB buying advice
Looking for a cheap waterproof I can throw in the bottom of my ruck sack. Was thinking along the lines of Dare 2b etc, don't want to spend more than £20 as it will just be something that's there just in case (looking ahead to our great summers :roll: ).

Scott Genius MC 30 RIP
Nukeproof Mega AM 275 Comp
Cube LTD Rigid Commuter
Ribble 7005 Sportive

Comments

• CB75
    CB75 Posts: 49
    A Waterproof for £20??? you might as well just wrap a black bin liner round you!! £20????
  • stealf
    stealf Posts: 49
    Your right - Dare 2 b will cover you for 2 or 3 at best rides only, then the coating wears off and your left wet etc. I have one - this is from experience. If I was you I would save and throw as much as you can at a jacket, there's some great sales on now, search around you'l find what you need.
    A bicycle ride is a flight from sadness.
    James E. Starrs

Current Bikes
    1999 Trek 6000 still looking mint
    2007Spesh StumpJumper FSR Elite
    2012 Sabbath September - Ooohhhh is that Titanium?
  • I'd get a soft shell with a decent DWR. Cheap waterproofs make you sweat.
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Genesis High Latitude 2x10
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • Myster101
    Cheers all, like I said its not for wearing all the time (or through winter) but just something light that can live in the bottom of my rucksack which will only be used if the rains come unexpectedly.

Scott Genius MC 30 RIP
    Cube LTD Rigid Commuter
    Ribble 7005 Sportive
  • CB75
    "if the rain come unexpectedly"!! have you been living in the arizona desert or down under? seriously we have had the shittiest weather ever the past year! we live in the uk! ive said it before when people ask about waterproofs check out the outdoor shops and not just bike specific jackets. you can get a half decent softshell at a reasonable price but ive even saw gore tex jackets on sale from £230 to £80 recently. As said in previous comments save more money and buy something half decent. check out Go Outdoors and Cotswold Outdoors website for sale bargains!
  • anj132
    anj132 Posts: 299
    http://www.dare2b.com/buy/struckout-jacket-183186 <-- I've got that one. I haven't ridden in it but it's certainly waterproof. It would fold up fairly small.

If you don't care about looks etc... you could go down the Army surplus route.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/300561332738? ... 1423.l2649

That should be breathable, it's the army version of gortex and 'when' you come off and it gets ripped it's not like an expensive jacket was ruined.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/300554033378? ... 1423.l2649 <-- Trousers to match as well ;)
  • Plyphon
    Plyphon Posts: 433
    Got a decathlon near you? I got bottoms for £14, and a top for £14!
  • Myster101
    CB75 wrote:
    "if the rain come unexpectedly"!! have you been living in the arizona desert or down under? seriously we have had the shittiest weather ever the past year! we live in the uk! ive said it before when people ask about waterproofs check out the outdoor shops and not just bike specific jackets. you can get a half decent softshell at a reasonable price but ive even saw gore tex jackets on sale from £230 to £80 recently. As said in previous comments save more money and buy something half decent. check out Go Outdoors and Cotswold Outdoors website for sale bargains!

No I haven't been living in the desert or down under. In fact I live in the Lakes which you might know has quite a bit of rain. I already have a decent waterproof jacket that I use in the winter or if going out when it's already raining. The whole point of my thread was to see if there is a cheap jacket that I can leave in the bottom of my rucksack through the summer. If i didn't make that clear then i apologise :D if i wanted to spend more then i would have put a bigger budget in my first post. If you don't know of one then fair enough :wink:

Thanks anj132, the dare2b one looks like what I'm after.

Scott Genius MC 30 RIP
    Cube LTD Rigid Commuter
    Ribble 7005 Sportive
  • hainman
    hainman Posts: 699
    I know its slightly over budget but what about this one...

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=11427
    Giant Reign 2
    Crohnie
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    I've got a regatta xert performance packaway jacket which cost me about £25 from either trespass or mountain warehouse a few years ago. It is perfect for chucking in the rucksack then sticking on when the heavy rain comes down. Just wear a softshell normally so that lets you breathe and keeps showers off.
    The expensive ones IMO are more worth it if you want to wear it all the time, so need to be much better, much more breathable.
  • Myster101
    Thanks hainman, that's the sort of thing I'm after.
    DodgeT wrote:
    I've got a regatta xert performance packaway jacket which cost me about £25 from either trespass or mountain warehouse a few years ago. It is perfect for chucking in the rucksack then sticking on when the heavy rain comes down. Just wear a softshell normally so that lets you breathe and keeps showers off.
    The expensive ones IMO are more worth it if you want to wear it all the time, so need to be much better, much more breathable.

Exactly.

Scott Genius MC 30 RIP
    Cube LTD Rigid Commuter
    Ribble 7005 Sportive
  • hainman wrote:
    I know its slightly over budget but what about this one...

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=11427

+1

(Not that I speak from the experience of owning one, but i too have a half decent waterproof, but would like a light, small second one for showery days rather than rainy days ... and also possibly to run in!) The Montane looks to fit the bill and has good reviews ... shame they are out of stock of more interesting colours (blue, red)
  • CB75
    heres a couple of options for you here. Go Outdoors are doing a craghoppers waterproof jacket from £60 or £70 down to £30 which is not bad. the other option is Tk Maxx, recently saw some montane jackets there and also berghaus stuff too but its just your luck there!! i wasnt trying to be funny earlier and dont take me the wrong way but when you mention rain and waterproofs in this country especially with the past year i just think that its best investing in good gear! but happy hunting!
  • Myster101
    No worries mate and thanks for the pointers. It really is just to throw in my bag and use in case of showers through summer that's why Im after a cheap one.

Scott Genius MC 30 RIP
    Cube LTD Rigid Commuter
    Ribble 7005 Sportive
  • NormalD
    NormalD Posts: 145
    I have one of these and use it exactly as you describe. Its been washed about 20 times in 2years and still keeps the showers out. Also good to wear on freezing cold dry rides.

http://www.cycle-clothing.co.uk/Product ... --red.aspx
    Normal Disk 2009

Genesis Equilibrium Tiagra 2011

FCN 10 (only cycle in once a week though)

Alfa 156 SW
  • Myster101
    NormalD wrote:
    I have one of these and use it exactly as you describe. Its been washed about 20 times in 2years and still keeps the showers out. Also good to wear on freezing cold dry rides.

http://www.cycle-clothing.co.uk/Product ... --red.aspx

Perfect, think we have a winner. Thanks :wink:

Scott Genius MC 30 RIP
    Cube LTD Rigid Commuter
    Ribble 7005 Sportive
  • NormalD
    NormalD Posts: 145
    Is there a prize?
    Normal Disk 2009

Genesis Equilibrium Tiagra 2011

FCN 10 (only cycle in once a week though)

Alfa 156 SW