'90s Specialized Rockhopper BB

Pogonophobia
Pogonophobia Posts: 9
edited January 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi
Could someone tell me what this BB is please and what I could replace it with - its on a '90s Specialized Rockhopper ('97 i believe - red and white with STX rear derailleur and dia comp v brakes)

image_zpsa5149dc1.jpg

Thanks

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    That photo just tells us it's an internal one, howver from experience it will be 68mm English thread and square taper, axle width will be determined by the cranks fitted. That will almost certainly be cup and cone as it has a lockring.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Thank you
    Sorry, forgot to mention it had a square taper spindle/crank interface
    I have a clicking sound when I pedal is that likely to be the BB? assuming nothing is knocking.
    Assume I'll need a puller to get the cranks off?
    Thanks again
  • The Rookie
    Puller needed, yes, cost about £4.

Yes sounds very like BB, if the cup/cone are Ok, you may just need to clean it and get some new balls (replace damaged only) and some fresh grease.

I had pretty much identical on my 1997 GF retro ride.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Can anyone suggest the tool to undo the lockring please
  • The Rookie
    Hammer and screwdriver.....

C-wrench if you must.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Can't see a lockring there - just an standard splined BB interface. I'd have thought it would have been a cartridge unit.
  • The Rookie
    Your right, I thought the silver face was a lockring, but looking again it's not!
  • Those splined BB interfaces can be a nightmare to undo, especially if they've been on for a good few years. I ended up using an impact driver to get mine off as the breaker bar just made the socket slip.

As for what to replace it with. You could either go with another cartridge BB (making sure you get the right size) or if you want to replace the cranks too a hollowtech BB will fit.
    Statistically, Six Out Of Seven Dwarves Aren't Happy
  • Thanks everyone. Doesn't fitting a hollowtech affect chain line? How do you mitigate that?
  • The Rookie
    Unless you have a wacky chainline now, HT2 (not hollowtech pre HT2 which is still internal bearing and referred to how the crank arms were made) has the same chainline.