Press fit BB question

BG2000
BG2000 Posts: 517
edited January 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Given that a RaceFace chainset will fit a Shimano BB, would I be able to fit my Atlas AM chainset into a new Giant frame that has a Shimano Press fit Bottom Bracket ?

If not, what options are there for this type of frame ? Are there convertors from press fit to standard British thread ? What exactly is the purpose of these press fit BBs anyhow ? I can sort of understand it for BB30 but not 'standard' chainset axles....

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Maybe.

If he axels are th same diameter an you have th correct spacers to get the width correct so you can get the crap Raceface system to preload the bearings correctly.

I would not bother.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • BG2000
    I agree that the RaceFace system is rubbish although I've been lucky with mine over the years (2 years muddy Peaks riding and original bearings still OK). The axles are the same diameter as Shimano, i.e. I can use a normal threaded cup Shimano BB.

Basically, I've been offered a new Trance X1 frame to upgrade my hardtail to full-suss, i.e. I'm planning on transferring all existing parts across. All my existing parts will fit OK - it's just the BB I'm not sure about. Why would Giant fit a BB type that only works with Shimano ?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Like I said it depends on the width of the BB.

What press fit is it?

Thre are more than one. Red up on Parktools.

But again I would not even consider it.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • BG2000
    Sorry, I thought you meant axle diameter. The width is standard 68mm on the Trance and also my Atlas chainset.

I only know that it's a Shimano Integrated Press Fit BB.

But I agree that it sounds risky - so can I get rid of the press fit BB and somehow install a normal threaded BB ?
    Thanks for the replies BTW...