First bike advice

Mallsy
Mallsy Posts: 2
edited March 2013 in Road beginners
Looking to begin cycling both on road and trails and am looking at a cyclocross with a budget of about £600-£800. Only advice I've had is in a Evans store, where the assistant recommended a Pinnacle Arkose One for £750 which I've since heard is their signature bike and should be avoided. Others that have caught my eye are the Specialized Tricross Triple 2013 Cyclocross model, Charge Filter 2013 Cyclocross model and the Kona Jake 2012 Cyclocross model. Not sure whether to buy a new model or get a good saving on a 2012 model and possibly get a higher grade of bike for the same money. Very much a beginner to cycling and any advice is welcomed. Thanks in advance!

Comments

• MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    Nothing wrong with last years models at all.
    CX race bikes often lack threaded eyelets for rack, mudguards and sometimes waterbottles. Low-end ones should have these features which turn a nice toy into a useful commuting/shopping/touring bike.
    Disc brakes are very nice to have if you ride through wet, muddy winters. The rear brake can be mounted in the normal MTB position on the seat-stay but it interferes with rack and mudguards. Many come with the mount on the chainstay so they play better with accessories.
    Why should pinnacle bikes be avoided? they seem OK at the price.
  • RowanM
    RowanM Posts: 20
    I agree that there is nothing wrong with last year's models at all, though I have also heard that the cantilever brakes on the Jake were useless, and they have been swapped to discs for 2013. I'm looking at a Kona Jake at the moment. Not exactly my first bike, but I am riding the Giro d'Italia for charity this year, and will be doing it fully loaded with touring gear. I like the triple chainring on the Jake, though I am looking at changing out the rear derailleur for something that will take a 34 tooth cog, because there are some big hills in Italy. I would love to hear if anyone has used one for fairly heavy touring though? I am a bit worried about frame flex with heavy panniers on it?
    I'm riding the Giro d'Italia for charity in 2013. Check it out at www.tourletour.com!
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    I have the tricross from specialized - fits me well - I got an older model, but higher spec for a discount - it's new so it didn't matter to me if its a year or two "old".
    I think cyclocross bikes are superb for general use - they rugged enough to take on trails or run on the road for a commute.

Find some in stock and go and ave a sit on them.

Btw tricross does have fixings for mudguards and panniers - but they changed the front fork so no fittings there - I just borrowed the fittings from my cruds.
  • blackhands
    blackhands Posts: 950
    Anything here?

http://www.dolan-bikes.com/cyclo-cross/ ... yc%20Cross

Unless you are going to ride in very muddy conditions you don't need either a cyclo cross bike or tyres. In fact cyclo cross tyres on the road are a pain - they don't roll particularly well and don't grip.

For riding on trails I'd go for a road bike with 32 spoke Open Pro wheels and Vittoria Pave tyres.