New cyclist help please

skinnydog1973
skinnydog1973 Posts: 114
edited January 2013 in Road beginners
Hi I am just about to take the plunge and buy my first bike, i am totally new to this and would like a bit of advice please. i have seen a bike for sale and was hoping for a bit of advice about the bike i might get and the suitability. The bike i have seen is a Bianchi Monocoque 928, it has veloce brakes if that helps lol, the price is £995, The bike is in immaculate condition does this sound like a good price or are they asking too much and would this be a good first bike, sorry if i sound like a total loser but i really know nothing about bikes but really want to get into them, thanks for any help cheers

Comments

• smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    Bianchi 928 is an awesome bike for the price you say.
  • Would this be a good bike for me to start on
  • smoggysteve
    Any bike is a good bike to start on. If you like it and can afford it, go for it.

Bianchi are a very good make, Campagnolo Veloce groupset is pretty sound. There are a thousand top quality bikes you can get for that price but if thats whats caught your eye you would have a good bike for the money.
  • ForumNewbie
    ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
    Would this be a good bike for me to start on
    Where have you seen it for sale - shop or internet? If it was me I'd definitely want to see and try it out for size before buying. It looks like a nice bike, but may be too racy for a complete beginner to start with, i.e. the gearing may be too high if you live in a hilly area. Do you know what the gearing is? - if 53/39 at front and 11-25 at back it will be very tough to get up steep hills on it.
  • Hi i have seen it in a shop that is selling it for someone i dont really know what you mean with the gearing as i am a total novice, i probably need to speak to the person who has it for sale in the shop
  • smoggysteve
    Basic guide to gearing for the complete novice - Dont worry about gearing!!!!

If its something you begin to care about later you will learn all about it. The internet can give you all the info you need. For now all you need to know is, the spec is very good and being a Bianchi, you will love the ride. I have yet to ride one that wasnt comfortable. I would say, if its a one off chance to get this bike, make sure its the correct frame size for you. Nothing will make cycling more uncomfortable and stop you enjoying it than an ill fitting frame. Try and get the chance to sit on it and make sure its right for you. If not then best look elsewhere.
  • Hi i went to a bike shop at the weekend and tried a bike and he told me 54 was the size for me the bike i have seen i have seen today was the same, i am 5' 11
  • smoggysteve
    Should be fine for you but try and sit on the Bianchi. Not all frames are the same and different dimensions could make a 54 on one bike be closer to 53 or 55 on another. It sounds a little close to being on the small side for 5'11 but not too much to cause a problem. Im 5'7 and ride a 50
  • When i tried the bike i stood over the frame with my feet on the floor and my undercarriage lol was just touching the top of the frame
  • smoggysteve
    Thats pretty much ok then.
  • lotus49
    lotus49 Posts: 763
    Basic guide to gearing for the complete novice - Dont worry about gearing!!!!
    I think your usually sound advice has not achieved its normal standard here SmoggySteve.

To the OP: you don't say anything about yourself or the type of riding you are hoping to do but the gearing does matter. If you are heavy, unfit and live in a hilly area, you will be sorry if you get a bike that has such high gearing that you cannot get up the gentlest of inclines. If you are super fit, weight 60kg and live in Norfolk, it won't matter a bit what the gearing is.

Let us know a bit about yourself and what type of riding you want to do if you want to get the most useful advice.

I can quickly summarise, but you should do a bit of research before putting your hand in your pocket.

Bikes have two sets of gears. The crankset at the front and the cassette at the back. Cranksets are one of traditional (used by pros, fit people and those who never see any hills), compacts (very popular and suitable for the less fit or those who live in hilly areas) and triples (suitable for unfit, overweight people who live in the Himalayas :wink: ). Cranksets can be changed but it is a fairly major undertaking.

The cassette is the set of gears at the back. There are usually 8, 9 or 10 gears. These can be changed much more easily and cheaply so getting a bike with the wrong cassette isn't such a big deal and normally the cassette will be something suitable to match the crankset.

For most beginners, a compact crankset will be the most suitable.
  • smoggysteve
    Most bikes "off the peg" have quite neutral gear ratios. Nothing set closer to hills or the flat specifically. Especially Bianchi. They tend to Put all the effort into the frame and the rest is an afterthought. I had plenty Bianchi's and its always the case. Excellent frame, good gears, average finishing kit, crap wheels. Its always the same. Even my Sempre had less than average kit on it compared to bikes in the same price range.
  • smoggysteve
    928 with Campagnolo Veloce has a compact 12-25 ratio. Not mega fast, Not a climber but would do to get around on for a novice. I dont think a complete novice as the OP suggests is going too attempt anything to taxing. Most new cyclist like to get out on the open road and just enjoy themselves.
  • hi im 39 years old and weigh 80 kg i live in a the north east england where i could go on the flat or into the hills, i have been thinking about getting a a bike for about 6 months and want one for mainly getting fit and hopefully i will get into something that i really enjoy
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Don't forget to factor in another couple of hundred for kit !
    Shoes shorts tights tops jackets gloves glasses helmet etc...
  • tetley10
    tetley10 Posts: 693
    cougie wrote:
    Don't forget to factor in another couple of hundred for kit !
    Shoes shorts tights tops jackets gloves glasses helmet etc...

yeah buying kit is great. but it mounts up.
  • navrig
    navrig Posts: 1,352
    If you are wlling to spend £1k on a road bike then I would suggest you let the Bianchi go and take your time to chose.

At that price point there are dozens of models to chose from and by taking your time you can avoid buying something which is just shiny and sexy but not suited to you.

I'd rather have a "normal" bike which suits than a "super" bike which doesn't.

Have a trawl through this forum, your local bike shop and the various internet shops. You'll pick up loads of information which will help narrow down your choice.