tow bar mounted bike carrier advice

jairaj
jairaj Posts: 3,009
edited January 2013 in MTB buying advice
I want to get some sort of bike carrier for my car Seat Ibiza ( 08 ), after doing a search and reading previous posts it seems (if you can afford it), a tow bar mounted carrier is the best solution. So this is what I want to go for.

People have also suggested that the ones that hold wheels are better than the ones where the bike just hangs. But there doesn't seem to be any reason given.

Is it simply because the bikes can swing on the hang type and damage each other or the car or is there a different reason?

Would I be OK with using foam padding and straps to stop the potential swinging / damage?

Just trying to save a few pounds as the hang type ones seem to be a lot cheaper and lighter then the wheel support types ones. I'm trying to squeeze 3 bikes and a carrier and my car has a nose rating of 50kg.

Comments

• lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    I have been through the whole selection process before and I would suggest that the most important thing is to get one that tilts with the bikes on it so that you can still access the boot. Yes, it will cost you more (ebay, here, STW etc. are all good for lightly used, value SH items) but the ability to secure the bike to the rack properly, to lock the rack to the tow bar properly and still be able to easily get into and out of the boot to get kit, rather than having it scattered all over the car, especially after a muddy ride, is really worth having.

Mine is a Thule something or other and is completely brilliant. But if I were to change it I'd think seriously about the one that slides (name escapes me) before tilting.

Oh, get one with a fixed light board and number plate rack as well. Again, so much less faffing around.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • Levi_501
    Levi_501 Posts: 1,105
    After trying a hang type, it is nigh on impossible to stop them swinging, no matter what you do.

I have tried different things, foam, bungies, rope, tape allsorts (not very good as they get eaten :mrgreen: )

This is especially true when tired and loading them up for the return journey; you jst want the bikes on the back to go.

It a nut shell, it is quicker and more secure.
  • jairaj
    hmm OK thanks, sounds like the hang type ones might be a false economy then?

I haven't read about any bad brands, basically anything that supports wheels and is tow bar mounted should be fine. Do you agree or are some brands that I should avoid?
  • As others have said

Quicker more secure easier less faffing about just works

I have the following http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/accessories/car-racks/product/review-thule-euroway-923-12-46350
    There are other makes pendle halfords etc

With hanging type carriers I've experienced two downsides; movement you get the bikes rubbing together removing paint, also rubber straps start to fail, compromising the security.

Tilt feature might be seen as a luxury but it a godsent when you've got to get kit in and out of boot.
  • WindyG
    WindyG Posts: 1,099
    edited January 2013
    With a 50kg nose weight limit you'll be overlimit with 3 bikes with a stand on rack, the rack weighs about 20kg so unless you have very light bikes its a no go, Seat Ibiza's are a pain with bike racks my neighbour has struggled to find anything decent for his.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Best advice I can give you is Dont forget your car is now about 2 feet longer dont ask me why lets just say luckily it was a hedge and not a wall :oops:
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • WindyG
    WindyG Posts: 1,099
    stubs wrote:
    Best advice I can give you is Dont forget your car is now about 2 feet longer dont ask me why lets just say luckily it was a hedge and not a wall :oops:

lol even worse for me as I have a Navara which is already 17 foot long, makes for carrying a lot of bikes though.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The Halfords rack is made by Thule....I have a 4 bike and it's really good. I used to have a 'hang it from the crossbar' style but stopping the bikes rubbing on each other and causing damage was near impossible.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • jndb72
    jndb72 Posts: 629
    I just bought one of these before Christmas. Tilt's back so that you can get to the boot etc. Well worth the money.

http://www.tesco.com/direct/thule-rideon-2-bike-towball-mounted-bike-carrier/204-3095.prd

I paid £103 for mine. Ordered it on the Friday and it was at my local store the next day.

Check what electrics point you have on your car as you may need an adapter. The Thule comes with 7 pins and my car has 13. Bought an adapter from Amazon for about £5

Added bonus of these is it keeps all the shite out of the car.

Cheers
    2011 Canyon Nerve AM 5.0
    2009 Specialized Rockhopper Disc

I might have alzheimer's but atleast I don't have alzheimer's
  • ElliesDad
    ElliesDad Posts: 245
    I've got one of the Thule ride on types (ie the bike wheels are supported by the rack), best thing I ever bought!

Another advantage of this type over the hang on type is you tend to get the lighting board built into it so saves a bit of faff!
    2012 Boardman FS Team
    2014 Giant Defy 2
  • jairaj
    Thanks for all the info guys. I think I know what I'm looking for now. Just a matter of searching through the web to find the best deals!