Adjusted Saddle, now trying to do me an injury

mbthegreat
mbthegreat Posts: 179
edited February 2013 in The workshop
So I had a wee fiddle with my saddle the other day, just to change the position slightly. Got it how I wanted it, all happy, set off, but after a few miles the whole thing slipped back on the bolt to the seatpost and angled itself up quite a lot. Not comfortable on the old arse.

So methinks, I just didn't tighten the bolt tight enough, reset it, tighten it up (using allen key on a multitool) and off I go again. Same thing happens.

Ride it for a day pointing skyward, get home, bust out the big proper key and tighten it as hard as my pathetic girly arms can achieve.

Lasts for a few days but is gradually slipping again.

WTF is going? I'm a big guy, about 95kg, but I've never had this problem before...

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Some seatpost clamps can be prone to slipping, or require a good old heave with a big allen key. Multitool might not be giving enough oomph. I'd take it all apart and make sure is clean.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    We saw similar recently and the clamping bolt was bottoming out on the saddle so not clamping the rails properly......
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Thanks guys, seem to have sorted it by taking the saddle off and cleaning the clamp.
  • jomoj
    jomoj Posts: 777
    if you keep having this problem then a 2 bolt clamp could be the answer, it's a better engineering solution and if you're putting a lot of 'leverage' on it then it's much less likely to slip or fail. Something like this for example:

SE253A01.jpg