Bikes for long torsos

Eightball*
Eightball* Posts: 13
edited January 2013 in Road beginners
Hi

I am trying to find a road bike that fits my strange body shape. I have a long torso for my leg length, and am hoping someone might be able to point me in the right direction of a brand or model that caters for this? I went into a LBS and they told me to pick the bike then change the stem to suit. As I am coming from a mtb back ground I know this will change the handleing of the bike and I didn't think that was a good way to do it.

Many thanks
Ian

Comments

• alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    Eightball* wrote:
    Hi

I am trying to find a road bike that fits my strange body shape. I have a long torso for my leg length, and am hoping someone might be able to point me in the right direction of a brand or model that caters for this? I went into a LBS and they told me to pick the bike then change the stem to suit. As I am coming from a mtb back ground I know this will change the handleing of the bike and I didn't think that was a good way to do it.

Many thanks
    Ian

Pros generally ride smaller bikes with longer stems...
  • rich164h
    rich164h Posts: 433
    As above, but you should really try to get the frame size right in the first instance to avoid having to use a ridiculously long stem to correct for a frame that's too small. Don't be tempted to mess up your seat position by moving the seat back etc either.

The best thing you can do is to go to a shop with a good reputation for recommending a bike that fits you properly. Someone like Epic Cycles has a good reputation for this.

Whereabouts are you in the country?

Also, what height/inseam are you? I ask as I'm 6'4" with only a 34" inseam which means that I guess I'm pretty long in the torso as well so I might be able to suggest something based on what I've ridden. Clearly if you're 67" with 30" legs then that's something different all together!!
  • Hi thanks for the reply.

First things first, I'm not a pro! I am looking for a good all rounder sort of bike. I want to be able to take it light touring but also go on road rides with friends and even a bit of town/cummeter action, but I will never race.

Rich, thanks for your responce, I am 6' 2.5" and take a 34" trouser also, so I your recommendations would be most welcolme! I am based in Aberdeen but go to Edinburgh regularly.

Ian
  • rich164h
    rich164h Posts: 433
    ok, so actually you're probably a touch shorter in the body than me although there's probably nothing in it in reality. Well I usually seem to find bikes with a horizontal top-tube length of about 58cm suit me best. Note the "horizontal" bit as compact framed bike will have a slopping tube with a different length to the horizontal and often will quote both figures in the geometry charts.

Look here: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/colnago-ace-105-2013/

you can see the two measurements "O" and "Os". It's the "O" measurement that you want to look for.

For this bike in particular, this means that the "56" frame size is likely to be the best one for me. Other brands size their bike differently, or at least give different numbers to the equivalent sizes.

Take this Bianchi for example: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/bianchi-sempre-105/ I'd be looking at a 59 or possibly a 61 frame.

for Specialized: http://www.specialized.com/gb/gb/bikes/road/allez/allezeliteintcompact#geometry it would be a "58"

This gets to the point where the frame is more of less going to be right but then there's the next step of saddle position and stem lengths but at least you'll be working with a frame that means you shouldn't need to go to extremes with those adjustments which could result in totally messing up the handling of the bike.

The best thing really will be to get to a shop where you can sit on a few and feel what's comfortable as it is amazing how little changes in things like a 10mm change in stem length can completely alter the way the bike feels. For example, for me, the stock Cannondale CAAD9 stem was far too long and I felt far too stretched out (so if I had bought that bike I'd have automatically had to have replaced that component), whereas you might feel fine like that if you're more flexible than me.
  • Hi,

I am similar to you 6'4" with 35" inside leg. I also have v long arms. (arm span is over 2m) so I am always looking for bikes with long top tubes and then still have to put a long stem (14cm) on it.

I have a BMC and that is a 59cm frame with a 59cm top tube but feels really long.

I wouldn't worry too much about stem length as 14cm is about as long as you can get and I think all frames will be ok with it handling wise. If the top tube isn't long enough and you need over 14cm then the frame will be too small.

I'd guess from your measurements that you want to look for a frame with a top tube of 58-59cm+. This should let you use a stem in the range from 12-14cm and find the correct position. Then if feels too long you can always reduce the stem length to 10cm if required.

Cheers

Nick
    Nick

Retul Bike Fits at Romero Performance
    2009 BMC SL-C Pro Machine Super Record
    1969 Carlton Longfellow Single Speed
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    You need to choose a brand where the horiz top tube measurement is bigger than the effective seat tube measurement. So in examples above the Colnago is good for you, the Bianchi not so good - its for long legs and short body shapes.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    Eightball* wrote:
    Hi thanks for the reply.

First things first, I'm not a pro! I am looking for a good all rounder sort of bike. I want to be able to take it light touring but also go on road rides with friends and even a bit of town/cummeter action, but I will never race.

Rich, thanks for your responce, I am 6' 2.5" and take a 34" trouser also, so I your recommendations would be most welcolme! I am based in Aberdeen but go to Edinburgh regularly.

Ian

Same height as you but even longer torso at 33" trouser. Suffer the same problem as you and have to settle for a 60cm frame even though with my height I dont need it. I got measured up in the tri-centre in Edinburgh many years ago and still run with those measurements with no injuries.

PS I have no ties to this shop but was measured up here when it was under another name - still hear its a good shop though.

http://www.thetricentre.com/
    Brian B.
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Generally most things Italian and made for racing will have a long top tube which will help you.

e.g Basso.

Mine has a 54cm seat tube and 56cm top tube. Often frames will have equal lengths in these two components making it harder for someone with long torso but average legs.
    Yellow is the new Black.