Advice please - which one of these?

bigmonka
bigmonka Posts: 361
edited January 2013 in Commuting general
Hi everyone, I'm sorry but it's another request for advice from a newbie!

I need a new bike as my last one got melted in a house fire :shock: (see photo below!).
The info:
  • I commute ~90miles/week all year round (other than ice/snow) and take my 2year old on either a bike seat or trailer.
  • There'll be the occasional weekend ride with my wife to the local National Trust property (or tea room more accurately :) ) which involves some easy off-road tracks.
  • I have a budget of £400
Looking at various advice online it appears that a cyclocross bike would be good, however I haven't managed to find any within budget (including secondhand) and I could do with getting a new bike fairly soon. So I've narrowed it down to a couple of options which are both in the sale at the moment:
Edinburgh Bike Coop Revolution Courier Disc: http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/products/revolution-courier-race-disc-12?bct=browse%2fbicycles%2fcommuter-hybrid-bikes
Edinburgh Bike Coop Revolution Country Traveller: http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/products/revolution-country-traveller-12?bct=browse%2fbicycles

The Courier has flat bars, which is what I'm used to, and disc brakes (albeit mechanical) which would help with stopping in traffic in the wet.
The Country Traveller has drop bars, which although a bit foreign to me seems like a step forward. The brakes are cantis which isn't great. The bike is a bit heavier but RRP is over £100 more than the Courier so I guess there must be more good things about it which I don't know/understand.

Can anyone give me any steering on which to get?! :?: :?: Will the geometry of the Country Traveller give me a more efficient riding position? As I'm not used to drop bars I'm hesitant about basing my decision purely on a test ride as I know that I'll initially feel more comfortable on the Courier - but that doesn't mean it's the better decision in the long run.

8169499874_21f75f9ca6.jpg