Gwin to Spesh - official

DCR00
DCR00 Posts: 2,160
edited January 2013 in MTB general
Morning all

Prob not that suprising. Will be interesting to see what he can do on a carbon Demo.

http://dirt.mpora.com/news/omg-aaron-gw ... lized.html

Comments

• warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    Kinda surprising seeing as he signed a 3yr contract with Trek at the end of last season. Still, I agree, not all that surprising really. Be interesting to see who Trek can pull in now.
  • DCR00
    Says he signed a letter of intent, so not quite a contract per se. Still annoying for TWR though.
  • warpcow
    Aah, that makes sense. I just remembered the headline being something like "Gwin signs for Trek for 3 years".

Does that make him a SRAM rider now too?
  • warpcow
    Oooh, Trek are pissed:
    "The last several weeks have been a very difficult period for our company as owners of the Trek World Racing program. Despite the fact that on August 9 of last year, Aaron Gwin signed a legally binding Letter Of Intent with our team for the next three seasons, his agent wrote an email to the team in mid-December stating he had decided to race for another bike brand. Mr Gwin confirmed his agreement with our team in public statements, and he and his agent repeatedly confirmed the existence of, and commitment to, the agreement in written correspondence with us. Yet, only weeks before the team was required to submit the official team roster to UCI, Mr Gwin informed the team that he was abandoning TWR in total disregard of his contractual obligations.

The team reached out on several occasions in December in order to try and remedy whatever concerns Mr Gwin had, but these were ignored until the team received a letter from his Attorneys on December 27 stating he would not ride for our team. In the interests of the team and our sponsors, we are actively pursuing all options open to us at this point, including legal action, and remain completely surprised by Mr Gwin’s unprofessional actions.

Team Director Martin Whiteley says: “This has not been an easy time for us. In the bigger picture however I find positivity in the fact that the Trek World Racing program will continue regardless of the outcome of this dispute, as no single rider is bigger than the team as a whole. Every rider who has been on our Downhill program has had the best years of their career with us, and we will continue to bring on talented riders. The team has a history of helping riders win who had not previously won, including Aaron Gwin. It’s our intention to continue that type of record with new talent. I would personally like to acknowledge the complete support and loyalty we’ve received from our title sponsor Trek Bikes who have been unwavering in their commitment to the program since this news broke. In the interests of the fans, we hope this matter will be resolved sooner rather than later”.

Consider Gwin's 'good-guy' image, not to mention his previous relationship with Trek, it's a bit of a shock. Maybe Trek did something he didn't like.
  • This line is particularly cutting "The team has a history of helping riders win who had not previously won, including Aaron Gwin."

This reads to me as - he's not as good as people think he is, its Trek that has enabled him to win.

Snot green Canyon Nerve AM 8.0x
  • DCR00
    thats an intersting point

how much is skill, how much is bike
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Part of the reason DH isn't allowed in the Olympics, it's deemed to be too bike dependant.....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Will end in Specialized paying Trek a settlement figure and everyone will live happily ever after.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    Part of the reason DH isn't allowed in the Olympics, it's deemed to be too bike dependant.....

And track or road cycling isn't? And mtb is even more so about the equipment, yet that is still in the Olympics... I can see enduro being included at some point.
  • Torres
    Torres Posts: 1,266
    This reads to me as - he's not as good as people think he is, its Trek that has enabled him to win.

I was thinking the same thing. The people have behind the scenes are some of the best in the industry (his mechanic used to throw spanners for Brian Lopes,) so how will Gwin cope without top level support.

I'm not saying the spesh team is by any means amateur; but in a race that can be decided by hundredths of a second every little advantage helps.
    What We Achieve In Life, Echoes In Eternity
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Sam Hill & Nukeproof for the win :D
  • DCR00
    This line is particularly cutting "The team has a history of helping riders win who had not previously won, including Aaron Gwin."

Their comment seems a little snide. Do they expect us to believe they took on a rider they thought couldnt win races ? Perhaps the bike has helped somewhat, but i doubt Trek would have taken him on if they didnt think he had any talent
  • The Rookie
    lawman wrote:

And track or road cycling isn't? And mtb is even more so about the equipment, yet that is still in the Olympics... I can see enduro being included at some point.
    Don't shoot the messenger......the emphasis is on the 'too' the others the bike plays a part, but it's not deemed to be 'too' dependant, although remember the furore when CB won on the lotus carbon special?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • http://www.twitlonger.com/show/kl8jle
    Proud to announce that I will be riding for Specialized moving forward. There's much more to the story than what's been shared and i'm looking forward to setting that straight very soon. Thanks to my team and fans who've had my back in this time
  • Torres wrote:

I was thinking the same thing. The people have behind the scenes are some of the best in the industry (his mechanic used to throw spanners for Brian Lopes,) so how will Gwin cope without top level support.

I'm not saying the spesh team is by any means amateur; but in a race that can be decided by hundredths of a second every little advantage helps.

Specialized are definitely top level! Not sure what your point is dude?
    lawman wrote:

The Specialized, Trek, Santa Cruz, GT and Devinci (I'm probably leaving out some amazing bikes here) are all available in carbon and are all incredible bikes. I can't see an argument for one being better than the other, and so much so a rider wins just because of the bike, because it's more down to how it's set up and how well it's suited to the rider. It seems training and mental attitude are more important factors at the very top level. All those bikes have won races a DH world cups over the last few years (yes the GT has with Marc Beaumont a while back).
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    It may be a problem to have in the Olympics due to the sport needing a big hill which some of the flatter countries might not have. Also there were complaints about BMX being too dangerous!
  • Torres wrote:

lawman wrote:

The Specialized, Trek, Santa Cruz, GT and Devinci (I'm probably leaving out some amazing bikes here) are all available in carbon and are all incredible bikes. I can't see an argument for one being better than the other, and so much so a rider wins just because of the bike, because it's more down to how it's set up and how well it's suited to the rider. It seems training and mental attitude are more important factors at the very top level. All those bikes have won races a DH world cups over the last few years (yes the GT has with Marc Beaumont a while back).

JayC is known as one of the best mechanics in the game so i think Gwin will be pretty well covered

The big question will be how Gwin gets on with a Demo 8? A bike that Hill has had massive amounts of input into the design of. At Yeti he was around the top 10's then he got on the Trek and started smashing everyones times, how much of it is Gwin and how much is the bike? The demo uses a four bar suspension linkage that is getting a little old thesedays where as he's been used to the Treks Split Pivot platform (Trek call it something else but it's a split pivot) same as DeVinci. Yes Specialized, Trek, Santa Cruz, GT and Devinci are available in Carbon but all have different suspension platforms so will ride differently.

Personally i hope Gwin bombs on the Demo simply because before all of this i thought he was a bit of an arsehole + god botherer, It'll be fun seeing a rider kitted out in Monster energy kit whilst wearing a RedBull helmet or has he fired them off aswell?
    What if your dreams and fears existed in the same place? What if to get to heaven, you had to brave hell? What if everything you've ever wanted cost you everything you've ever achieved? Would you still go there?
  • lawman
    Muttly1981 wrote:
    Torres wrote:

lawman wrote:

JayC is known as one of the best mechanics in the game so i think Gwin will be pretty well covered

The big question will be how Gwin gets on with a Demo 8? A bike that Hill has had massive amounts of input into the design of. At Yeti he was around the top 10's then he got on the Trek and started smashing everyones times, how much of it is Gwin and how much is the bike? The demo uses a four bar suspension linkage that is getting a little old thesedays where as he's been used to the Treks Split Pivot platform (Trek call it something else but it's a split pivot) same as DeVinci. Yes Specialized, Trek, Santa Cruz, GT and Devinci are available in Carbon but all have different suspension platforms so will ride differently.

Personally i hope Gwin bombs on the Demo simply because before all of this i thought he was a bit of an arsehole + god botherer, It'll be fun seeing a rider kitted out in Monster energy kit whilst wearing a RedBull helmet or has he fired them off aswell?

Afaik monster/spesh has folded and will be a factory team. Rumours of a lawsuit about 5 monster related deaths to kids so spesh wanted out before it became big news. Also heard from a lad who was close to TWR who claims that Gwin was speaking to spesh at the end of 2011 and the letter of intent was nothing more than a cover up, so not an actual biding contract. Apparently whitely and 23 degrees knew this and trek offered more money than spesh, my understanding is his spesh contract is the same as trek with less of the bullshit for the brand, so he has abit more freedom.
  • lawman
    Quote from said chap - "Gwin never signed a contract. It was a letter of intent and a clever one. He's been speaking with Spec since 2011. The letter of intent was there as a distraction whilst he spoke to Spec. Sean let Sam go knowing Gwin would fill his shoes. Martin knew what was going on, but was too scared to tell anyone - team contracts relied on Gwin. The TWR mechanics only found out today. Martin should have known - if Gwin was truly going to stay, then he'd have signed a contract, not a letter of intent. And it's little to do with money. Basically, Spec offer the same to Gwin as Trek, but he escapes the BS that surrounds TWR. Trek send a counter offer, and again, all Spec have to do is match it."
  • lawman wrote:
    Afaik monster/spesh has folded and will be a factory team. Rumours of a lawsuit about 5 monster related deaths to kids so spesh wanted out before it became big news. Also heard from a lad who was close to TWR who claims that Gwin was speaking to spesh at the end of 2011 and the letter of intent was nothing more than a cover up, so not an actual biding contract. Apparently whitely and 23 degrees knew this and trek offered more money than spesh, my understanding is his spesh contract is the same as trek with less of the bullshit for the brand, so he has abit more freedom.

Not seen anything official about the future of MES but it's hard to see them folding considering they started out as the Iron Horse team until they went bump so moved to Specialized, don't Specialized already have a factory team in the USA? Mitch Ropelato apparently posted a photo of his 2013 kit on facebook the other week with Monster logos in place and MES are still posting on Twitter so i guess until anythings confirmed it's just rumours.

From the 2nd piece you posted it seems that he knew Spesh wanted him at all costs and he wanted the Spesh deal, but also looks like he's played them off against each other on the money side of things to up his worth.
    What if your dreams and fears existed in the same place? What if to get to heaven, you had to brave hell? What if everything you've ever wanted cost you everything you've ever achieved? Would you still go there?
  • Torres
    Torres Posts: 1,266
    Torres wrote:

Apologies, maybe I didn't make my point clear. Of course Specialized are a top class outfit, but the team Trek had was the best of the best. His mechanic was just an example, but the rest of the staff were of equal caliber; downhill is won by fine margins, such as the margin between being brilliant and being world class.
    What We Achieve In Life, Echoes In Eternity
  • my thoughts on this storm in a teacup, hope you enjoy :)http://jamessmurthwaitedh.blogspot.co.uk/
  • The Rookie
    fyldesmurf wrote:
    hope you enjoy :)
    Not really, sorry but if you are going to Blog, you have to produce something insightful, new or at least well enough written to be interesting or amusing or both, a brain dump doesn't work for me.
  • I'm not really too sure what you mean by a brain dump, from what I've seen its not entirely unoriginal, if my opinion is that shared by yourself or others then that doesn't make it any less valid. Thanks for your feedback though.