Giro 2013 Wildcards

TimB34
TimB34 Posts: 316
edited January 2013 in Pro race
Three places, ten applicants:

Katusha, Novo Nordisk (Formerly Team Type 1), new Swiss team IAM Cycling, Landbouwkrediet-Crelan of Belgium, NetApp-Endura, Team Europcar, Sojasun, Colombia-Coldeportes and Italian teams Vini Fantini-Selle Italia and Bardiani Valvole-CSF Inox

(list from cyclingnews)

Vini Fantini look set for one place, Katusha could be added as an extra team if they get back into the WorldTour (if they don't get back in then J-Rod will probably jump ship, so there doesn't seem much point in giving them a wildcard), so any guesses for the other two?

Colombia and Europcar?

Comments

• I'd have thought Netapp would get one again like last year. There was talk of exploiting the German market.
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    Coldeportes, IAM and Vini-fantini for me!

Coldeportes for mountain craziness, IAM because im curious and Vini because they will be desperate to perform.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    How do you guys feel about having a 3rd rate team race with the big boys?

I'm not sure how I feel to be honest. The small Italian teams can be fun but are often riddled with drugs as riders try to get a big contract with another team and some glory. The other teams just end up towards the bottom of the team rankings and rarely win stages.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Re J-Rod, he has apparently asked for a release and if he achieves this then I doubt Katusha will get an invite as you say.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Colombia Coldportes is a must pick for me. My motto is that you can never have too many Colombians...and they only know one mode in the mountains and thats Tora! Tora! Tora! (or Spanish equivalent)

Not bothered about IAM or NetApp, have to say. The latter got a second place on one stage with Barta last year, otherwise not particularly noticeable.
  • Meeting now in session.
    Some talk over the weekend about Vini Fantini
    and Bardiani being asked to form a single team:
    http://www.tuttobiciweb.it/index.php?pa ... 55319&tp=n

Colombia Coldportes strong favourites for a slot, although we all know what happened, last year.

J-Rod looking for a fast exit from Katusha, although the Giro remains a non-factor.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Meeting now in session.
    Some talk over the weekend about Vini Fantini
    and Bardiani being asked to form a single team:
    http://www.tuttobiciweb.it/index.php?pa ... 55319&tp=n

Colombia Coldportes strong favourites for a slot, although we all know what happened, last year.

J-Rod looking for a fast exit from Katusha, although the Giro remains a non-factor.

I love how a tweet to Acq suggesting combined team and Acq's response complete with smiley emoticon, gets turned into a story! Mind you, most of the papers do that now
  • EKIMIKE
    EKIMIKE Posts: 2,232
    NetApp got another second place last year too. Huzarski behind Rodriguez at Assisi. Plus they didn't have their leader, Koenig. I'd like to see them have another go - more from Barta please!

IAM just seem to be a load of former World Tour domestique's. Can't see what they bring. Haussler would go close or maybe win a sprint stage or two but not much else.

I'd love to see the Colombians. Duarte, Chaves, Atapuma. Why the hell not.
  • frenchfighter
    I hope CC perform. They have yet to. All hype and no go at the moment. I'd like to see them in though - a GT with Uran so they can school them.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    edited January 2013
    Bleeding heck, Frenchie, you dont demand much do you :shock:

In Europe last season:
    1st Stage 4 Giro del Trentino, Darwin Atapuma
    1st Stage 5 Vuelta a Burgos, Esteban Chaves
    1st Gran Premio Città di Camaiore, Esteban Chaves
    1st Coppa Sabatini, Fabio Duarte

And they livened up big US races like California and Colorado, no end
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    edited January 2013

In Europe last season:

And they livened up races like tour of Colorado, no end

Looking at the results it does like like 2012 was an OK year, though they themselves said they were dissapointed.

I'm a big fan anyway, anybody riding around in a jersey scribed with 'Inspired by climbing' does it for me.
  • Bleeding heck, Frenchie, you dont demand much do you :shock:

In Europe last season:

And they livened up races like tour of Colorado, no end

Looking at the results it does like like 2012 was an OK year, though they themselves said they were dissapointed.

I'm a big fan anyway, anybody riding around in a jersey scribed with 'Inspired by cycling' does it for me.

Oh and 2nd and 3rd behind Gesink on Mount Baldy at California...none too shabby...

Yeah, gotta have some love for the team
  • pat1cp
    pat1cp Posts: 766
    I predict at least two Italian teams with the Colombians, probably.....
  • Talking of tweet rumours:
    GIRO DE ITALIA 2013 : TEAM COLOMBIA INVITADO !!!!!! CORTI : RECONOCIMIENTO AL TRABAJO REALIZADO Y APOYO DEL GOBIERNO COLOMBIANO
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Talking of tweet rumours:
    GIRO DE ITALIA 2013 : TEAM COLOMBIA INVITADO !!!!!! CORTI : RECONOCIMIENTO AL TRABAJO REALIZADO Y APOYO DEL GOBIERNO COLOMBIANO

YESSSSSSSSSSSS

EDIT: have just relealised that the whole thing doesnt translate...am just basing my glee on the first phrase...
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Fantini, Bardiani CSF and Colombia
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    I hope Coldeportes get in, but we might be expecting a bit too much from them! Atapuma is likely they only rider who can stay with the selection in the mountains; Duarte is exciting, Chavez, Pantana, and Quintero are very promising, but most of the dynamic Colombian climbers are elsewhere.

Disappointed that NetApp Endura, didn't get the invite this year.
  • Turfle
    Bardiana can bring Battaglin, Modolo, and Pirazzi.
  • Turfle wrote:
    I hope Coldeportes get in, but we might be expecting a bit too much from them! Atapuma is likely they only rider who can stay with the selection in the mountains; Duarte is exciting, Chavez, Pantana, and Quintero are very promising, but most of the dynamic Colombian climbers are elsewhere.

Disappointed that NetApp Endura, didn't get the invite this year.

Russ Downing will be gutted. His time for a 2nd GT ride is running out really
  • Simmotino
    Simmotino Posts: 295
    Bardiani, Coldeportes, and Vini Fantini it would appear.
  • frenchfighter

In Europe last season:

And they livened up big US races like California and Colorado, no end

Atapuma stage is the only one I remember. Only thing tho was he hung like hell riding wheels them let it rip in the last section. When I think Colombian, I think climber, loner and passionate. I want to see some of that. Yeah I don't watch those races as they are in the US but I saw some photos of the other pros riding coat-tails.

I also remember that stage with Pozzo. Beforehand they were saying they would be all over it and they had recce'd it. Unfortunately they were a non-show.

Don't misunderstand me, I am a fan certainly, just felt they didn't meet my expectations last year but then those were unduly hyped by people thinking they would be amazing just because they hail from Colombia.

321-PIC273749467-crop-1.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Bakunin
    Bakunin Posts: 868
    Colombia-Coldeportes rocks.

They are going to give Wiggo fits.
  • Bakunin wrote:

Wiggo might need Rigo to keep the cheeky chappies in check. Rigo trains with them back home so... :wink:
  • Turfle
    Just reading some profiles on the Coldeportes site, and Arango ("I look at Bradley Wiggins as a model"), and Pantano ("I love climbing, but I like to set a strong pace rather than accelerate") will no doubt he helping Wiggo more than hurting him.

NetApp lost out by one vote apparently. They did get invites to Tirreno and to Lombardia though, and I'm guessing the Vuelta is still a possibility too.
  • Well chuffed for Colombia Coldeportes :-)

[Edit - and for Wilier too]
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,179
    Bakunin wrote:

Wiggo might need Rigo to keep the cheeky chappies in check. Rigo trains with them back home so... :wink:

9 more mountain domestiques - perfect :lol:
  • Pross wrote:
    Bakunin wrote:

9 more mountain domestiques - perfect :lol:

Is the CC jersey all black on the back? If so I suspect a very cunning plan on the part of Sky re the new Rapha kit...it would look like many Sergio Henao's :wink:
  • frenchfighter
    VOTAZIONIGIRO.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest