In a bit of a rush for torch/batteries from the UK.

Bondoofy
Bondoofy Posts: 13
edited February 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hello all. I've been lurking a bit and found the stickies immensely helpful. I've gone from the absolutely wrong thing, to clueless, to having a rough idea of what I need.

Getting to the point. I'm completely lightless at the moment and I want to be hitting a fair bit of busy tarmac and some pretty dark country road and wooded areas. I just got my first half-decent bike and I'm learning as I go. I've got a charger suitable for 18650 batteries already and just need to pin down which batteries, torch and mounts to get.

I was thinking about these mounts http://bit.ly/Xfo9jm

This torch http://bit.ly/VGxO3B

.. and these batteries http://bit.ly/WpRCnR

The plan being to order another torch like that one from further afield and that I could at least get out and about with one just now. Should I be looking at other places in the UK that isn't eBay? Any input at all would be helpful. I'm suffering from a tiny bit of information overload.

Comments

• Gamblor
    Gamblor Posts: 84
    I've ordered a similar set of things from dealextreme, but can't comment as they're not here yet.

On the battery front, I use 18650 in my ecigs so know which are the good sellers to buy from. Although theres probably nothing wrong with those ones you've posted, you may aswell buy from the ebay seller big_f_d_d (posts as torchythebatteryboy on other forums)

http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/big_f_d_d?_tr ... 7675.l2559

He knows shedloads about batteries, and I'm sure if you sent him a message via ebay with a link to the torch your after, he could tell you which batteries to get out of the various brands/capacities.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Gamblor wrote:
    I've ordered a similar set of things from dealextreme, but can't comment as they're not here yet.

On the battery front, I use 18650 in my ecigs so know which are the good sellers to buy from. Although theres probably nothing wrong with those ones you've posted, you may aswell buy from the ebay seller big_f_d_d (posts as torchythebatteryboy on other forums)

He knows shedloads about batteries, and I'm sure if you sent him a message via ebay with a link to the torch your after, he could tell you which batteries to get out of the various brands/capacities.
    +1 for Torchy. Battery geek, knows his stuff and sells good stuff.

@Gamblor - I use them for the same thing, Currently vaping some Vapourjuice Hazelnut in a Boge on a Young June chrome Lavatube. Going really well with a snack of well matured stilton. Also use a couple of L Rider mini Lavatubes, a mk1 and a chrome. With some carto tanks and mini Vivi Novas for the regular daily stuff. What mods are you using?
    Use Egos when I'm out riding.

That should confuse the bike types anyway.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Aha! I'm actually a vaper myself. I've been through a few setups but currently happiest day to day with a 1300mah Vision Spinner, U-DCT tank and boge XXL carto. I'm having a bit of a flavour crisis at the moment, I can't seem to settle on anything but menthol for any length of time.

Back to avoiding headplanting a tree in the dark. The batteries should be just a case of getting the genuine article, as was said. So I'll give that eBay seller a proper look. So the issue is the torch and mount. I'm wanting an XM-L U2 LED because... well it's newer and supposed to be brighter and more efficient, there just doesn't seem to be a lot of them on ebay and I can't wait ages on an other side of the world order.

I'm probably caring too much about getting the U2 over the T6, considering yesterday I had no idea what either were.

EDIT: This looks to be the same torch I had in my original post? http://bit.ly/Sgz52l A lot cheaper and more than one in stock.
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    If there's traffic you want to be using a LOT less than full beam on this light... you will blind oncoming motorists.

Personally I would use this type of mount as in my experience they are more secure than the 'lockblocks' for your bars and you can easily adjust them up or down as you are going (e.g. to 'dip' your light in traffic)... but you will need rubber shims to keep the 501bs snug in them. Personally I mount my lights the other way round to the way they show, so they are balanced better.

For off road I would get two lights... one for your lid and one for your bars. Two of those torches on MED will likely be enough for most riding - and you can switch to FULL for fast sections. OK, to be honest, I'd go with three lights :D - with two on your bars, one on MED, and the other off, to be switched on at FULL when you need it... but start with two for off-road, as you can add more for £10-12 each.
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Sorry can't be much use on torches. Just have some 501b T6 I think, and cheap rubber block plus Velcro mounts off eBay. Don't ride at night really.
    Spinner and a DCT is a good combo. All you ever need really.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • bartimaeus
    Is that some sort of hi-tech fag break? (*link to avoid misunderstanding even though this is not the Crudcatcher)
  • Bartimaeus wrote:
    Is that some sort of hi-tech fag break? (*link to avoid misunderstanding even though this is not the Crudcatcher)

Exactly that.

Thanks for the advice. I was a bit concerned about blinding people in cars. Bad Karma. About the mounts, this one here says it will take a 33mm torch and from I gather the 501b is 33mm. So with that and the 501b I linked second, I should be laughing?
  • Ouija
    Ouija Posts: 1,386
    The 501b is around 22/24mm (the battery is only 18mm thick).
  • Ouija wrote:
    The 501b is around 22/24mm (the battery is only 18mm thick).

I see, so when the 501b in this link says "Size: 136mm x 33mm x 25mm" it's takling length x torch end diameter x body diameter?
  • bartimaeus
    Yes - the DX pages have shots showing the lights measured e.g. this one. Shows 30.03mm for the head of the torch.
    sku_55241_6.jpg
    sku_55241_7.jpg
  • Excellent. Thanks again for all the input, everyone.

I ended up getting 2x Senybor Batteries from Torchy, this 501b and these mounts.

It was quite nice to read an ebay listing with so much info and honesty, I knew more about batteries than I had before reading a few of those listings. Great stuff. Torchy doesn't charge post so I'm taking the chance with the 18650 charger I have already, which is almost sure not to work, it's not listed in the compatible chargers. It's a Trustfire TR-001, where he sells the TR-005. Worst case scenario I will just put in another order. A few days won't kill me.
  • Ouija
    Ouija Posts: 1,386
    I have a Trustfire TR-001 charger and Senybor 2800mAh (5.6a drain) batteries and it works just fine.

By the way. If your torch is direct drive in it's brightest mode (my 502's are) and around the 2.8/3.0 amp theoretical max output mode (900 lumen) then the 5.6amp drain senybors can run it at it's max output. Some 501/502 torches don't achieve the full 900 lumen output either because the emitters max output is limited (closer to 2 amps and 500 lumen) or, in some cases, because the battery can't provide the emitter with enough juice to achieve it's maximum amp output (if connecting it up to a 4.2v multi battery pack seems to make the light jump up in brightness then this is usually why).

Frankly, those Senybor 2800 (5.6 drain) batteries pee all over my Trustfire/Ultrafire and other batteries in both running the torches brighter and for longer (typically a hour and a half on full 900 lumen output as opposed to the usual one hour of my other batteries).
  • Well that's sounding like good news! I'm certainly chuffed to hear my charger will do the job. I just need sort out a back light now, I've been so focused on torches, batteries and brackets I totally forgot about it.
  • bartimaeus
    I use these - they are cheap enough that you can get several... I had a more expensive one taken out by a stone, so I go for many and cheap now. I am sure you can get these from eBay too as it's a couple of weeks to get them from Hong Kong. If you commute in traffic then you might want brighter/better, but these seem good enough to me.
  • Gamblor
    Gamblor Posts: 84
    cooldad wrote:
    Gamblor wrote:

+1 for Torchy. Battery geek, knows his stuff and sells good stuff.

@Gamblor - I use them for the same thing, Currently vaping some Vapourjuice Hazelnut in a Boge on a Young June chrome Lavatube. Going really well with a snack of well matured stilton. Also use a couple of L Rider mini Lavatubes, a mk1 and a chrome. With some carto tanks and mini Vivi Novas for the regular daily stuff. What mods are you using?
    Use Egos when I'm out riding.

That should confuse the bike types anyway.

I'm using a 2.1 Mini Lavatube Chrome (takes a single 18630 battery) with a 3ml Vivi Nova. My vape is exclusively El Toro Cigarillos, though I have a vision full of Menthol for when I fancy it, I'm not the type to have loads of different flavours. 650mah Ego Twist with a Mini Nova when out and about.

Sorry for the off topic, OP. :oops:
  • Bartimaeus wrote:
    I use these - they are cheap enough that you can get several... I had a more expensive one taken out by a stone, so I go for many and cheap now. I am sure you can get these from eBay too as it's a couple of weeks to get them from Hong Kong. If you commute in traffic then you might want brighter/better, but these seem good enough to me.

Those are certainly cheap and I think worth a punt. I'll get a couple on the way and look for something in the meantime.
    Gamblor wrote:
    I'm using a 2.1 Mini Lavatube Chrome (takes a single 18630 battery) with a 3ml Vivi Nova. My vape is exclusively El Toro Cigarillos, though I have a vision full of Menthol for when I fancy it, I'm not the type to have loads of different flavours. 650mah Ego Twist with a Mini Nova when out and about.

Sorry for the off topic, OP. :oops:

No worries. Vaping is easy to get chatty about.
  • Any thoughts on this Led Red Laser Bicycle Rear Light. Cheap flashy rubbish that will fall to bits?
  • I ended up taking a bit of a punt on one of these B-Scene RCZ Diamond Laser Rear Bike LED Light jobs. They seem to be going up in price(I paid 11.50) but from what I gather, at the end of the auction everyone that has bid gets one via the "second chance" offer.

I've not been out at night(shamefully) since I got it, I've been a bit limp wristed about the weather, but it's a well built light.
  • Bondoofy wrote:
    I ended up taking a bit of a punt on one of these B-Scene RCZ Diamond Laser Rear Bike LED Light jobs. They seem to be going up in price(I paid 11.50) but from what I gather, at the end of the auction everyone that has bid gets one via the "second chance" offer.

I've not been out at night(shamefully) since I got it, I've been a bit limp wristed about the weather, but it's a well built light.

ok, just had a fairly high speed ride(albeit on tar) and I'm happy to say nothing fell apart or off. Great visibility with the light as well. I'm impressed.

The only downside to this was parking up to lock the bike and turning it off. You have to cycle the two buttons to "off" and I missed it on both the laser and LED so it looked like someone struggling to control a rave for a minute or so. I'm sure that'll pass with experience.