Road position question

Reane_Machine
Reane_Machine Posts: 178
edited January 2013 in Road beginners
Hi all, a large chunk of my commute is on a dual carraigeway, after about 400 yards on which I turn right.

I turn onto the dual carriageway in the right lane and stay in the right hand side of the right lane, until I get to the third lane which appears about 100 yards before the traffic lights for the right turn.

When this lane appears I move over to the left hand side of this lane, sometimes taking the lane if it's busy, obviously checking traffic prior.

Question is, should I be in these road postitions? My logic is that it must be safer to change position as little as possible, and I feel like staying in the same position until I have to change is safer than staying right over to the left then having to cross two or three lanes of traffic before the turn.

Hopefully I've explained the road clearly enough! All advice appreciated.
Hills are like half life - they wait until you're 50% recovered from one before hitting you in the face with the next.

http://www.pedalmash.co.uk/

Comments

• ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    Avoid right turns
  • ShutUpLegs wrote:
    Avoid right turns

Now THAT sounds like a challenge. :mrgreen:
    Hills are like half life - they wait until you're 50% recovered from one before hitting you in the face with the next.

• lucan
    lucan Posts: 339
    Hi all, a large chunk of my commute is on a dual carriageway, after about 400 yards on which I turn right.
    That sounds like a remarkably short commute! If half of your commute was on a dual carriageway that would only make it 800 yards.

I'd walk.
    Summer: Kuota Kebel
    Winter: GT Series3
  • Well I say large, it's the road I spend most of the time on, given that the rest of the way the roads change a bit.

Commute's only five miles one way anyway :(

Any comments on the road position at all? :)

• smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    From your description it sounds like you are near the central reservation (right hand side of the right lane). This is not to be advised.

As a rule of thumb you should adopt a commanding position of the road when you wish to perform a manouver so that you are clearly visible and discourage vehicles from trying to squueze past.

When cycling on a dual carriageway you should be in the left hand lane until you need to make a specific rught turn.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • EarlyGo
    EarlyGo Posts: 281
    I'm not sure what the highway code says, but that sounds bl##dy
    dangerous to me! No car driver will be expecting a cyclist to be in the fast lane 300m from a junction. I'd stay in the left lane until I was nearer the junction. Then move from the slow lane into the filter lane in one go. I think that the way you're doing it is very risky.

Regards, EarlyGo
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 42,453
    Stick to the centre of the right lane, it will make it easier when you need to move back across to the left. Is it a high speed dual carriageway or just a fairly low speed urban road? Link to Google maps of the section in question as that will give a better understanding.
  • It's not a high speed carriageway, the speed limit is 30mph, but it is a big arterial route out of the city which is busy in rush hours.

Two weeks out of three I work late so the traffic is never a major problem, just wondered what would be the safest position as all my riding is done on single roads and country lanes - no position problems there!

Here's the road:

http://tinyurl.com/ahzhe7w

I join turning left at Bradfield Road and exit turning right onto Herries Road.

• benkxk
    benkxk Posts: 151
    In all honesty I would use the left lane and then use the lights to cross when it's your junction. I don't like crossing lanes yet :D
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Oh god, Penistone Road.

Are you sure it's a 30mph limit? I remember it being a 40mph zone but it's been a long time since I lived there.

I'd be starting in the left hand lane (don't fully understand how you're starting in the right hand lane) and looking to filter across into the third lane as soon as it becomes available. Lots of shoulder checks. It's not too bad in the day but I'm not sure I'd want to tackle it in the dark in rush hour.

Alternatively you could continue down to the roundabout and get onto Herries Road that way.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • Its an interesting question, but maybe you should consider doing a level 3 national standards course, it covers tricky road positions on busy roads relevant to journeys you make. I offer training in Manchester and Cheshire for this. Have a look on my training web pages for details of what the course covers and its relevance to you, then no doubt there will be someone in your area that can offer this. Most trainers would tailor a level 3 to your needs. If you get stuck drop me an email and I will try to help further.

Dave
    URL www.cycletrainingmanchester.com/
  • DesWeller wrote:
    Oh god, Penistone Road.

Are you sure it's a 30mph limit? I remember it being a 40mph zone but it's been a long time since I lived there.

I'd be starting in the left hand lane (don't fully understand how you're starting in the right hand lane) and looking to filter across into the third lane as soon as it becomes available. Lots of shoulder checks. It's not too bad in the day but I'm not sure I'd want to tackle it in the dark in rush hour.

Alternatively you could continue down to the roundabout and get onto Herries Road that way.

Yeah during the day it's not so bad, but when I work an 8-4 shift and am commuting in rush hour both ways it gets pretty hairy.

I'm joining from Bradfield Road, so I filter on the right lane of that outside Swann Morton (assuming you still remember these roads). I tried staying to the left today and had no issues, plenty of shoulder checks and taking the lane.

Luckily there's a good 100 yeards stretch of the turn-right lane before the traffic lights so I don't think it will be an issues crossing.

Awkward road and I don't like doing it, but the only alternative is to go well out of my way. Might look into that in summer when it's warmer and light early.

Thanks for all your comments.