First ride ... Literally

Philly8mt
Philly8mt Posts: 552
edited January 2013 in Road beginners
Hi guys

Purchased my first bike recently but wasn't feeling terribly confident about riding the bloody thing due to the fact that it's 25+ years since I last sat on one! I decided that I didn't want to risk myself or other road users by just diving out there ... So ... Set the alarm clock for 4am! Got ready and set off on my ride unhindered by traffic. Unfortunately I'd been struck down by this flu bug thing going around and already felt bloody awful when I set off!
Ideally I'd have liked a nice flat ride but don't have that luxury so off I went, stopping occasionally to practice clipping in and out of the pedals and trying a few different gears (my main area of concern - see previous post), some of which worked :)

Anyway, to cut a short story shorter ...
I wobbled like crazy initially (is that just me?) but managed the hill (slight incline lol) and got into the swing of it apart from being hopelessly out of breath (hope that's the flu!). I managed a pathetic four miles .. But ... On the way back I hit the downhill stretch and I got it! Bizarrely I felt safer at speed and loved the sensation of the wind against my face. I felt free!

I'm feeling absolutely dreadful now and ache like mad (flu not the bike) but I'm so glad I got out. As soon as I've shifted it I'll have another 4am ride and I'll keep at it until I feel like I can mix it on the roads in daylight!

Hopefully the start of something special :)
Still thinking of something clever to say!

Comments

• Well done - 4 miles is a good start although the 4am thing isn't for anyone on their first ride!

Most people would go at the weekends :)
  • hipshot
    hipshot Posts: 371
    First ride at 4AM with the Flu, and you loved it?

I think this sport is for you.
  • Philly8mt
    hipshot wrote:
    First ride at 4AM with the Flu, and you loved it?

I think this sport is for you.

Thanks ;)

I'm so appallingly out of practice that I daren't go out during the day and inflict myself upon the world! So I'll keep setting the alarm and try to improve. Honestly if any one of you had seen my first ride you'd have split ya sides laughing!
  • elderone
    elderone Posts: 1,410
    well done and keep it going,sounds like you,ve got the bug big time(not flu one ).Dont worry about getting up at silly o clock,just go out and enjoy.
    Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori
  • Well done ! And be prepared to get addicted, I'm sure it's just a confidence thing but just remember to enjoy what ever riding you do that's the main thing for most of us :)
  • Mikey41
    Mikey41 Posts: 690
    Philly8mt wrote:
    I managed a pathetic four miles .. But ... On the way back I hit the downhill stretch and I got it! Bizarrely I felt safer at speed and loved the sensation of the wind against my face. I felt free!
    Downhill is great isn't it :D it's your reward for climbing.

Don't worry about the short distance. When I started cycling again I did the 4.5 miles to work and had to stop a couple of times to get my breath back and it took me nearly 45 mins. A week later I was doing it in 30mins with a shorter stop. Another week and it was non-stop and 25mins. Now it's 17mins non-stop without even thinking about it. You'll improve rapidly :)
    Giant Defy 2 (2012)
    Giant Defy Advanced 2 (2013)
    Giant Revel 1 Ltd (2013)
    Strava
  • ForumNewbie
    ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
    Well done, but although there is not much traffic about at 4am, it is very dark then at this time of year, and maybe not the best time of day to practice clipping in and out. I hope you have good lights as it is very hard to spot pot holes and the like in the dark.
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    Dont feel that you have to be clipped into the pedals. They are an extra layer of complication, skill and though-process. Most beginners simply have too much to fill their brains at first and forget how to use the at critical moments.
    Replace them with plain flat pedals until you can master the track stand.
  • Well done, I to starting riding when no one else was about to see me make an a*rse of myself and the one thing I've learnt is that, if you go out in the cold dark early mornings or late evenings,when your confidence and fitness increases you will have some fantastic Sunday rides (during daylight).
    Good luck
    Wilier La Triestina
    Specialized Tarmac Comp
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    if you're really nervous about riding on the road, put your bike in the car, drive to an industrial estate or a sustrans route, away from cars and other road users and practice there until you feel more confident. Will make you better prepared for the actual road. 4am? Gosh, at least when you're more confident, you can have a lie in lol :wink:
  • Davdandy
    Davdandy Posts: 571
    I never realised there was a 4am,aint never seen it. :lol:
    Cannondale CAAD 8 105
    Rockrider 8.1
  • Philly8mt
    I've not been able to repeat my 4am yet due to this bug ... But ... A couple more days and I'll be out again. Don't worry about the 4am thing, street lighting is good and the bike is lit. I live in a flat (four flights of stairs) so unloading all my work from the car and stuffing the bike in it is not always the best option I'm afraid.
    Ya right though, I'll enjoy my bed once I'm a little more confident ... What an incentive eh ;)