Rotor Clearance.

wowtaylor
wowtaylor Posts: 75
edited January 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi. I have some Marzocchi Bomber All Mountain 3 forks and Avid Juicy 7 disc brakes with 180mm rotors and, what I have noticed is the rotor is very close to the fork leg maybe around 1mm at the closest point and it appears that at some stage the rotor must have been rubbing as there are abrasions to the paint of the leg. I'm sorry I can't get you a picture as the lense on my phones camera has condensation on it but, I will try with our lasses phone tonight. Is this something to be concerned about and at a later date I was hoping to replace these rotors with floating ones, is that possible?
Thanks Andy :)

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    edited January 2013
    Silly idea, they are rubbish and will make it worse.

What fork fitment type (qr/bolt) along with brake type (pm or is)?
  • Normal quick release and the forks are post mount.
  • Our lass just nipped home too I could've got her to take a picture but she has gone out again.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Check the o.l.d on the hub is 100 mm.

Visually check your posts are straight and the disc runs mostly true.
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,170
    be ware of floating rotors - the rivet that holds the steel rotor to the alloy central carrier sticks out further than a one piece steel rotor on some models so may may the rpoblem worse. e.g. Hope SAW cannot be used with Formula R1 brakes for this reason - Formula floating discs have the rivet flusth with the surface of the disc.