Stem Length

high tower
high tower Posts: 47
edited January 2013 in Road beginners
Hi all, I need a shorter stem. Having to strech to far on to get to the bars, looking on line I can get a direct replacement for the one I have in various sizes. The question is when a stem is described as 90mm is that the total length of the stem unit or is it the distance beteen the handlebar mount and the stem mount.

Thank John.

Comments

• snoopsmydogg
    snoopsmydogg Posts: 1,110
    usually the distance from centre of the stem to centre of the handlebar mount iirc.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Stems are measured centre-to-centre along the axis
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • before you do that have a look at the setback on your saddle. I went from a 120mm stem to 90mm and it made the reach more comfortble for sure but never felt right. Had a proper fit and it became apparent that my shape requires zero setback on my seatpost. As soon as we did that I had to go up to a 110mm stem and have finally found my comfortable position. Most stock seatposts on bikes come with setback and this may be fine for you but it may not be. From what I remember when your clipped in, pedals parallel with the floor,using your forward leg, the divert just behind your kneecap (inside) should line up the knuckle behind your big toe which should line up with your pedal axle. Dont do this visually do it with a weighted plumb line. hard to explain but if you need further help give me a shout.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    You'd be amazed at how setting your saddle back improves comfort, takes pressure *off* your arms/hands since your backside now acts as a more effective counterbalance.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    Be careful with changing saddle setback though. It should be changed to get the right relationship between your backside and the pedals - not to change the distance between backside and bars.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    g00se wrote:
    Be careful with changing saddle setback though. It should be changed to get the right relationship between your backside and the pedals - not to change the distance between backside and bars.

+1 However, I think most people (including me) don't have their saddle far enough back.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • Thanks for all the comments, I have taken all the advice and have managed to get a base set up which over the coming weeks will fine tune. I did try the set up for a few 30 mile rides and its very comfortable, less arm strain and knumbness.

My weight certainly feels more evenly spread through out the bike. Although did have a few aches and pains int he morning, most likley down to a completley new position.

Thanks again for all the comments and sorry I didnt reply earlier, works been mad since the turn of the year.
  • Careca
    Careca Posts: 95
    Could also try flipping the stem too.