Scotland Coastal Tour

Wallace1492
Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
edited January 2013 in Commuting chat
Apologies if this aint the right place, but I know a fair few of you tour, and it is an active forum, and the main one I have frequented.

Thinking of setting myself the challenge of cycling round Scotland from Gretna Green to Berwick Upon Tweed, taking the road closest to the coast as much as possible. Dead ends not counting and other circular routes depend on circumstances and time available, though would take in Mull of Kintyre. Estimate it would be 1,700 miles. My thoughts are to do it in one go probably August/September, though again depends on circumstances at the time, could take a break at some point.

Obviously try and avoid the bigger, busier roads where possible, but try and stick to coast where I can.

Anyone done anything similar? I have done West Coast Scotland to Durness a few times and the scenery is simply stunning.

Idea is unsupported, camping (or B&B/hostel if really bad weather (Very likely!)) Though I am sure a few mates and family would join me at certain points along the way.

I think I need a good challenge for the year, and not very keen on LEJOG, and this is nearly double a LEJOG.

Comments?
"Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"

Comments

• Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Well- I drove most of that a couple of years ago. Erm. Wow.

I've seen some of the hills that route includes and it is epic. Plus: isn't the A9 the only route from the farthest NE corner? That's not a road I'd like to cycle on in places....
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Well, if you're doing a lap of the Black Isle, then I'd be very happy to meet up on the bike and give you a tow round.

It's a great idea and an epic ride
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Well, if you're doing a lap of the Black Isle, then I'd be very happy to meet up on the bike and give you a tow round.

It's a great idea and an epic ride

+1, and I'd be more than happy to join you on the East Lothian leg.
  • Wallace1492
    Yes, A9 is only road for a fair section, thought with it being beyond Dornoch, the main traffic heading for Inverness and Western Highlands will have turned off. It would be the last section of a LEJOG anyway, so probably used to cycle traffic, and well, in some places I will just have to MTFU. Though I reserve the right to divert inland where safety could be an issue, (like A1 heading down nearer border). Sitting in house with pissing rain outside, it seems a good idea, but will take a few weeks to decide if it is feasible......
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,632
    This is a good read, he goes all the way around the coast not just Scotland.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/One-Man-Bike-Mike-Carter/dp/0091940567

I've cycled the entire A9 KB, it's not that bad :?

Some of it was quite bad actually, lots of drains and tarmac ridges either side of them, that you could only avoid by riding primary (and you can't ride primary!). Dived off onto the cycle path a few times but it was pretty poor surface and went further, over more hills.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • Wallace1492
    Cheers MRS and UE. I was looking at taking the Nigg ferry and down through Fortrose. As to East Lothian, and further south, do you know of a route to avoid the A1, while being close to coast?
  • Cheers MRS and UE. I was looking at taking the Nigg ferry and down through Fortrose. As to East Lothian, and further south, do you know of a route to avoid the A1, while being close to coast?

Depends if you're OK riding on the train tracks...

I think the main problem will be between Torness and Cove, but that's only a couple of miles. The rest of the way, there seems to be back roads you could manage. There's also a bit between Eyemouth and Berwick where you'd have to cut inland.
  • meanredspider
    I was looking at taking the Nigg ferry and down through Fortrose

A short-cut already? :wink: More than happy to meet you off the ferry (assault landing craft) - you might need me for a tow out of Cromarty anyway if the wind is blowing from the usual direction. Rode that route over Xmas and I didn't get out of 1st gear until the top of the hill due to the 25mph headwind :roll:
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • meanredspider
    pangolin wrote:
    I've cycled the entire A9 KB, it's not that bad :?

Kudos - I've driven it (south of Inverness) enough times to know I'd never EVER cycle it. I think people that cross the Kessock Bridge on the road want their heads looking at
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    The other thing that stood out about the A9 was that the flat bits are only at the top or bottom of the next hill.

Oh, yeah... while you're on the West coast and make a diversion so you can cycle UP Applecross Pass.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • meanredspider
    The other thing that stood out about the A9 was that the flat bits are only at the top or bottom of the next hill.

Welcome to my world (not surprising really as my commute pretty much shadows the A9)
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,632
    Kudos - I've driven it (south of Inverness) enough times to know I'd never EVER cycle it. I think people that cross the Kessock Bridge on the road want their heads looking at

No I went on the cycle path over the bridge.

Coming into Inverness from the south was good fun. For a while before I was really struggling, plodding along, then reached a sign telling me I was at some summit and realised it had all been a gradual uphill. Coasting down into Inverness afterwards was great.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • meanredspider
    pangolin wrote:
    Coasting down into Inverness afterwards was great.

Slochd Summit - yes, lovely roll downhill from there.

At least the planned coastal route is reasonably flat along the Moray Firth
  • Wallace1492

Oh, yeah... while you're on the West coast and make a diversion so you can cycle UP Applecross Pass.

Ah yes.... but that would NOT be a diversion, it is part of the coastal road north from Kyle of Lochalsh.... No getting out of that one. And it would be the day after doing Mallaig - Armadale, bit on Skye, Glenelg Ferry and over the Mam Ratagan pass to Shiel Bridge, not an easy day! Though it is not about making it easy.... Did the Bealach Na Ba last year, so know what it is all about, though did not have panniers..... and anyway, the road north from Applecross to Shieldaig is not to be trifled with.

A few ferries would be involved, Gourock - Dunoon, for lap of Argyll (Tignabruich), Corran Ferry for Morvern and on to Lochaline and Drimmin from there, ferry to Kilchoan, have to obviously pop out to Ardnamurchan Lighthouse... Onto and off Skye to get by Loch Hourn and Loch Nevis (shame to miss out Knoydart, but no cyclable road in or out)
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    Yes, A9 is only road for a fair section, thought with it being beyond Dornoch, the main traffic heading for Inverness and Western Highlands will have turned off. It would be the last section of a LEJOG anyway, so probably used to cycle traffic, and well, in some places I will just have to MTFU. Though I reserve the right to divert inland where safety could be an issue, (like A1 heading down nearer border). Sitting in house with pissing rain outside, it seems a good idea, but will take a few weeks to decide if it is feasible......
    Don't you mean doesn't seem. Or are you one of these wiredos that likes the constant pissing down rain we get in Scotland :p

(this forum needs a proper tongue in cheek simile)
  • The most interesting route through Aberdeenshire is probably in land a bit. I'd suggest coming in at the Spey over the Cabrach, The Sui, then cut over from Alford to Banchory over the Cairn to the coast at Montrose. You could go all the way to Fraserborough, Peterhead and down through Aberdeen but it wouldn't be quite as spectacular. Personal taste though if you want advice on any of the roads near Aberdeen let me know. I could give you a tow if timings work in
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Good effort - that sounds like an epic ride!

Thought about charidy sponsorship?
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    .........And it would be the day after doing Mallaig - Armadale, bit on Skye, Glenelg Ferry and over the Mam Ratagan pass to Shiel Bridge, not an easy day! .....
    Alternatively, stay on Skye and go over the bridge.
    But that would miss out on the Mam Ratagan which gives spectacular views. If you can see them. :wink:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • anton1r
    anton1r Posts: 272
    I'd be interesting in knowing your proposed (or previously tackled) cycle route along the west coast.

After doing C2C last year, the missus and I were pondering another multi day trip but along the west coast this time. Couldn't quite work out a route though.

Anyway good luck with planning your route and getting out and get on with it! :D
    "I have a plan, a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a fox." (from the Blackadder TV series)
  • Wallace1492
    anton1r wrote:
    I'd be interesting in knowing your proposed (or previously tackled) cycle route along the west coast.

After doing C2C last year, the missus and I were pondering another multi day trip but along the west coast this time. Couldn't quite work out a route though.

Anyway good luck with planning your route and getting out and get on with it! :D

So many good west coast routes, its hard to know where to begin! Depends how you propose to get there/back though. If by train, then Ardrossan - Arran - Clonaig - Oban - Barra - North Uist - Uig (on Skye) - Kyle of Lochalsh, Plockton, Lochcarron, (Divert to Applecross if you dare!) Loch Maree, Gareloch, Ullapool. Then pop over to Inverness for train back. Train also available from Kyle and Plockton. I went on to Durness and back to Ullapool as I was being met by mates, so got lift back.

There are also plenty of one day and multi day routes if you can dump a car somewhere, especially from Glencoe - take Corran Ferry, road to Lochaline, over ferry to Mull, up to Tobermory after lap of Mull (west coast Mull is amazing and a very quiet road, ferry to Kilchoan on Ardnamurchan ad back to Corran Ferry, or north at Salen and up to Lochailort, and right up past Glenfinnan, but turn off and head down smaller road on west side of Loch Linnhe back to ferry at Corran.

From Arisaig you can also use the Mallaig - Armadale ferry to get a route in Skye done, depending how far you want. One I am looking at is over to Skye, up to Broadford, down over Skye Bridge, past Eileen Donan castle, turn right at Shiel Bridge, over Mam Ratagan and Glenelg ferry back to Skye, then down to Armadale for ferry back to Mallaig.

I know most of the roads up the west coast, so depending on where you want to see and how you are getting there and back, happy to look at a route for you. Also what daily milage you doing and taking tents or travelling light?

PM me with more details if you want a few more suggestions......

Suzy, Hoping that it will not be pissing down in the summer when I am doing it!!! I like seeing scenery......

Aberdeen Lune and Davisee, Idea is to stick as close to the mainland coast within reason.... so Mam Ratagan it is!

GTV, yes, definately for charity, raised of £2k in 2010 doing Glasgow to Ullapool via Durness, Arran and Western Isles, over 600 miles in 7 days, mostly with panniers, then finished it off with the Applecross Circuit, happened to co-incide with the SCR milage challenge and got me 4th place!
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    I did some of the South West and North East coasts of Scotland during LEJOG and it was some of the best cycling I've ever experienced, enjoy!
  • lastant
    lastant Posts: 526
    Agree, Scotland was far more beautiful than I anticipated (and I expected it to be nice).

This trip sounds awesome, please document it / take some snaps!
    One Man and LEJOG : End-to-End on Two Wheels in Two Weeks (Buy the book; or Kindle it!)
  • kurako
    kurako Posts: 1,098
    Crazy idea. Good luck.

From Leuchars you can go up to Tentsmuir Forest and pick up the track all the way round the point to Tayport. Cuts out a fair bit of single carriageway road national speed limit road. The locals can be a bit nuts round that way. Fifers are a strange bunch :lol:
  • anton1r
    anton1r wrote:

So many good west coast routes, its hard to know where to begin! Depends how you propose to get there/back though. If by train, then Ardrossan - Arran - Clonaig - Oban - Barra - North Uist - Uig (on Skye) - Kyle of Lochalsh, Plockton, Lochcarron, (Divert to Applecross if you dare!) Loch Maree, Gareloch, Ullapool. Then pop over to Inverness for train back. Train also available from Kyle and Plockton. I went on to Durness and back to Ullapool as I was being met by mates, so got lift back.

There are also plenty of one day and multi day routes if you can dump a car somewhere, especially from Glencoe - take Corran Ferry, road to Lochaline, over ferry to Mull, up to Tobermory after lap of Mull (west coast Mull is amazing and a very quiet road, ferry to Kilchoan on Ardnamurchan ad back to Corran Ferry, or north at Salen and up to Lochailort, and right up past Glenfinnan, but turn off and head down smaller road on west side of Loch Linnhe back to ferry at Corran.

From Arisaig you can also use the Mallaig - Armadale ferry to get a route in Skye done, depending how far you want. One I am looking at is over to Skye, up to Broadford, down over Skye Bridge, past Eileen Donan castle, turn right at Shiel Bridge, over Mam Ratagan and Glenelg ferry back to Skye, then down to Armadale for ferry back to Mallaig.

I know most of the roads up the west coast, so depending on where you want to see and how you are getting there and back, happy to look at a route for you. Also what daily milage you doing and taking tents or travelling light?

PM me with more details if you want a few more suggestions......

Suzy, Hoping that it will not be pissing down in the summer when I am doing it!!! I like seeing scenery......

Aberdeen Lune and Davisee, Idea is to stick as close to the mainland coast within reason.... so Mam Ratagan it is!

GTV, yes, definitely for charity, raised of £2k in 2010 doing Glasgow to Ullapool via Durness, Arran and Western Isles, over 600 miles in 7 days, mostly with panniers, then finished it off with the Applecross Circuit, happened to co-incide with the SCR milage challenge and got me 4th place!

Ooof Wallace, Loads of options there Thanks A LOT. As you said it's all about getting to the start/from the end. We were thinking the train would be best for that too.

I'll have a proper read of that post now! :)
    "I have a plan, a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a fox." (from the Blackadder TV series)
  • -spider-
    -spider- Posts: 2,548
    Epic challenge Wallace!

I've done some of the bits you've mentioned (Bealach loop; Ardnamurchan loop (I didn't do the lighthouse option though); a lot round Cowal when I lived in Glasgow (the three ferries used to be a Springtime favourite - Gourock-Dunoon, Colintraive-Rhubodach, Rothesay-Wemyss Bay). Now on the Black Isle so could catch you when you're in the area.

Hope it works out for you.

-Spider-
  • Wallace1492
    anton1r wrote:

Ooof Wallace, Loads of options there Thanks A LOT. As you said it's all about getting to the start/from the end. We were thinking the train would be best for that too.

OK, by train then. Great route would be from Adrossan (train from Glasgow or cycle) ferry to Brodick, lap of Arran (either way) ferry from Lochranza to Cloanaig, cycle to Oban, ferry to Craignure on Mull, head south, then right to go along west coast road, follow coast all the way to Tobermory (past Calgary and Dervaig a few beastly hills!) Ferry to Kilchoan, then cycle to Salen, head north via Glenuig and Moidart then on to Arisaig and the majestic coastal road to Morar and on to Mallaig. From there you can train back to Glasgow (mind and book bikes on). Or further option to extend by ferry to Armadale, round a bit of Skye and train back from Kyle or Plockton. Depends on your daily milage how long it takes, but 50 to 60 per day would make it a 5 or 6 day trip. Plenty of accomodation options and cafe's, pubs/hotels and the like on the route for food and beer. Also plenty of great wild camping too if you dont mind getting a little dirty.

Further north options are limited due to train constraints, as most would involve getting to/from Inverness of Kyle. However there was a bike bus service run up the west coast and north coast from Inverness to Durness, so you could look into that - here is old link : http://www.highland.gov.uk/yourcouncil/news/newsreleases/2011/March/2011-03-24-03.htm
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,960
    The east coast will definitely be the issue. For starters there's no scenery.

But what I didn't know was that if you get as far as Easts Linton, NCR76 takes you all the way down the coast.....more or less.

If you want any company for some sections, send a shout out closer to the time and you might find a few BR members will appear, who will be willing to let you wheel suck for a while.
  • anton1r
    anton1r wrote:

OK, by train then. Great route would be from Adrossan (train from Glasgow or cycle) ferry to Brodick, lap of Arran (either way) ferry from Lochranza to Cloanaig, cycle to Oban, ferry to Craignure on Mull, head south, then right to go along west coast road, follow coast all the way to Tobermory (past Calgary and Dervaig a few beastly hills!) Ferry to Kilchoan, then cycle to Salen, head north via Glenuig and Moidart then on to Arisaig and the majestic coastal road to Morar and on to Mallaig. From there you can train back to Glasgow (mind and book bikes on). Or further option to extend by ferry to Armadale, round a bit of Skye and train back from Kyle or Plockton. Depends on your daily milage how long it takes, but 50 to 60 per day would make it a 5 or 6 day trip. Plenty of accomodation options and cafe's, pubs/hotels and the like on the route for food and beer. Also plenty of great wild camping too if you dont mind getting a little dirty.

Further north options are limited due to train constraints, as most would involve getting to/from Inverness of Kyle. However there was a bike bus service run up the west coast and north coast from Inverness to Durness, so you could look into that - here is old link : http://www.highland.gov.uk/yourcouncil/news/newsreleases/2011/March/2011-03-24-03.htm

Thanks again Wallace! :)