£500 budget for 2nd hand hardtail??

ZeeSaffa
ZeeSaffa Posts: 68
edited August 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hi all,

I know this is an all too common thread asking for the same old advice - but I'm struggling because I'm looking in the 2nd hand market which means there's so much choice out there that even after spending a lot of time on this - I'm still totally lost :?

I'll have £500 to spend on a hardtail next month.
I'm happy to go as old as 2007 if it's worth it and in good condition.

I mainly do singletrack XC but I also need the bike to be decent enough for (novice) freeride/downhill which I do a few times a year when I can get away.
I'm 6' and 14 stone.

A decent quality lightweight frame with good quality forks are the most important things to me. Other components can be upgraded over time.

I do actually have a retro '99 FSR Enduro that I have just put a whole new Deore gear / chain set on - so if you have suggestions for just a frame and forks then I could always re-use the bits from my FSR.

Budget for frame & forks would have to be no more than £400. The leftover £100 would go towards bars, seat, etc.
Otherwise, like I said - £500 for complete bike.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    There are no bikes that are going to cover the range of XC to DH/FR at this price - they rarely exist at any price, and are usually a compromise. Especially something light.

I'd reassess my needs and riding.
  • Thanks. I know what you're saying... but even if I'm looking at a 5 or 6 year old frame & forks?

Would something like this 2nd hand Cube Ltd Pro go sdome way to cover the range I need?
    http://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/cube- ... 1005829401

I know it's not for DH/FR - but like I said I am a novice so won't be riding it that hard.

Maybe after a couple more years riding I'll start to have more specific needs - but for the time being the riding I do is varied.
    I've lived with this ageing FSR for a while now and feel like it's time for a change. I may as well make an informed (as possible) decision.
  • supersonic
    Cube LTD is a racy XC bike - looking at very small drops with a bike like that, and will be very nervous on the downs! Fine if you want to plod down slowly, but I really don't recommend using it for anything but XC and trail riding!

You might be able to get more of a 'middle of the road' type of bike ie a hardtail with longer forks and slacker geometry. This will handle some milder 'extreme' stuff, but would be heavier and more sluggish for the XC. Something like an OnOne 456.
  • Thanks again!
    That's definitely one to consider - although the BikeRadar review didn't look at it favourably because of the weight and harsh ride. Although, as you implied... I can't have everything for my budget ;)

So, do you think I should be looking for something with similar geometry to the 465?
    What are the main measurements I should look at - like wheelbase, head angle, ...?

I don't ever do big jumps (unless by mistake!) - usually just 4 or 5' - so would 120mm forks be about right for me?

Sorry about all the questions. Hopefully this will help me narrow the choice down to a few specific options.
  • supersonic
    The 456 comes in 3 guises, carbon, and two steel versions.

Geometry is a personal thing, but those who like aggressive, gravity oriented riding prefer slacker (67 degrees and less) and long forks. However, while this provides stability on the downs, it can feel a bit sluggish for xc.
  • Your comment above about re-assesing my needs got me thinking...

Basically, the blue run at Llandegla sums up the most extreme riding I would do. No massive jumps or anything like that.
    This vid gives a pretty good perspective: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmURxAoyFWc

The reason I was thinking hardtail is because firslty I'll also be out doing regular XC routes and secondly because it's cheaper.

So, with the above in mind...
    1) Is a hardtail still the best option? You don't see many hardtails doing that blue route from what I recall.
    2) Seeing as the amount of DH/FR I'll do is absolutely minimal - should I rather look at a decent XC bike and not necessarily something with slack geometry?
  • EH_Rob
    EH_Rob Posts: 1,134
    You would be fine on that Cube for doing this, or any XC-oriented bike.

If Llandegla Blue is the most extreme riding you will do, the amount of FR/DH you will do is more or less zero - those disciplines generally involve steeper, rougher, more demanding tracks with bigger obstacles, hence the need for a specific type of bike to tackle them.

As has already been said, XC bikes are lighter bikes that climb well, but won't inspire as much confidence on the steeper downs. Slacker bikes tend to be a bit burlier, and that combined with their geometry means they won't climb quite as well in identical circumstances, but are more stable on the downs.

I'd check out the Voodoos and Boardmans at Halfords. Boardman more XC, Voodoo a little burlier. Not sure of prices though.
  • Thanks Rob!

Any suggestions for bikes on the second-hand market?
    I'd go as old as 2007... or 2006 if it was really worth it.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    The second hand market is huge - there must be millions out there. Really you need to find things you like and ask for advice on those.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • EH_Rob
    EH_Rob Posts: 1,134
    Cooldad is right, you're going to have to dive in yourself. Check out Pinkbike and the classifieds on here for an idea of what's available, and don't be afraid to haggle (or ask here for advice - although 'what's it worth' questions aren't allowed). I'd suggest you're looking for a hardtail, with 100 or 120mm forks. Frame material will probably be aluminium (most are) but may be steel. You're always better off viewing the bike before agreeing to buy it obviously.

Some bargains to be had on ebay too, but be careful.

That said, Voodoos and Rockriders (from Decathlon) are exceptionally good value bikes brand new. You also get a warranty, and you'll probably find that they'll do what you want them to, possibly at the expense of not being as blingy as some bikes.
  • Ok thanks - I'll keep looking.

At least now I'm more confident that a HT will suite my needs. I also have a better idea of forks & geometry so that will help me massively.

Thanks again!
  • DanDax1990
    DanDax1990 Posts: 1,201
    Voodoo Hoodoo would be great for what you want and you can get one new in budget as far as I remember?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    That would be a sensible choice.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • i'd be wary of going second hand when you can get a brand new bike with decent spec for you're budget that would more than suit you're riding. i've had the hoodoo for 18 months and i love it.
    pity those who don't drink, the way they feel when they wake is the best they will feel all day

voodoo hoodoo
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Second hand can give a big saving on a quality bike, but you need to know what your looking at, the Hoodoo is good, but it's quite heavy although it has some nice touches.

Suggesting second hand buys is pointless, the OP needs to find some he's interested in and post for advice, 'how much is it worth' questions are not allowed, but 'is this bike worth this much' are.....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Thanks again.
    Surely for about £500 i could build something decent based on the On-One 456 (or Ragley) frame. I can use the new Deore/XT groupset that I've just put on my FSR to keep the cost down.
    The more I look at them - the more I like the look of those old school looking steel frames 8)
  • Polf
    Polf Posts: 64
    It just so happens that I have a Cube Ltd 2012 for sale. Looking at £500 for it. Only had it since summer 2012 and cost £860 new. XL frame in black anodized and has just a couple of minor chips and scuffs associated with normal off road use. I have used it at Swinley, Forest of Dean, Cleeve Hill and Whinlatter and it has been a good bike for the trails. Selling as I have upgraded. Let me know if you are interested via this thread before I advertise it elsewhere. I'm in the Oxfordshire area if you would like to come and view.

http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/cube-ltd ... 65913.html
    Yeti SB95
    Nukeproof Mega AM 275
    On One 456C

"Never trust a man who, when left alone in a room with a tea cosy, does not try it on"
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    ZeeSaffa wrote:
    Thanks again.
    Surely for about £500 i could build something decent based on the On-One 456 (or Ragley) frame. I can use the new Deore/XT groupset that I've just put on my FSR to keep the cost down.
    You could, not sure where that falls within the realms of your original post though!

For £500 you could pick up a decent frame and forks and all the other bits to go with a Groupset....my hole bike as it stands has cost me £450 (see link in sig).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Thanks Polf. That does look like a good deal but I still need some time to decide what I want/need.
    Good luck with the sale!

@Beginner -

I know what you mean about it differing from my original post but all of this has been food for thought.
    As Supersonic said - I can't really have it all for my budget.

I've been looking at the Ragleys and really like the old school look of them.
    I can put some 120mm forks on it and I reckon that should be pretty decent for my needs.
    I know it's going to be heavy.... But I guess I'll need to lose some weight to compensate :)

That build you're doing look great!! After spending the last couple of week looking at some of the builds on these here forums its really got me keen to do one myself.
  • ZeeSaffa
    ZeeSaffa Posts: 68
    Wow!
    After just 18 months of riding (local & trail centres)... I've learnt so much and now realise how clueless I was when I first asked this question! :?

I'm still clueless actually - because I've badly injured myself and won't be riding for at least a year :(
  • Vinbad
    Vinbad Posts: 7
    supersonic wrote:
    The 456 comes in 3 guises, carbon, and two steel versions.

Geometry is a personal thing, but those who like aggressive, gravity oriented riding prefer slacker (67 degrees and less) and long forks. However, while this provides stability on the downs, it can feel a bit sluggish for xc.

Cant go wrong with On-One. Had several and think they are great value for money.