What to replace my Fox F100's with?

Gwaredd
Gwaredd Posts: 251
edited February 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hi all.

I have some 2006 model Fox F100 RL forks fitted to my 2009 model Trek EX9 & whilst I really rate them, I'm looking to sit the bike up a bit more & return it to 130mm travel.

Trouble is, I'm totally out of ideas when it comes to what forks are good or not. Ideally, I'd like to keep the weight low-ish, although I realise the F100's are silly light, so not looking to match them, but not 5Kg Tora heavy either! I'd need a non taper steerer & QR.

Will be looking to buy used, but have no idea what's good or bad from either Fox or RockShox.

Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Don't think Toras weigh 5kg, think you mean lbs.

Anyway, a Sid or a Reba. Or a bit beefier and longer travel a Rev.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Revelation
  • Myster101
    Myster101 Posts: 856
    Revs here as well. I have them on my Scott Genius (140mm) and they're great (as that tiger would say).

Scott Genius MC 30 RIP
    Nukeproof Mega AM 275 Comp
    Cube LTD Rigid Commuter
    Ribble 7005 Sportive
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Have you really got F100s on a Fuel Ex? A bike of that vintage would have had at least 120s, if not longer.

I'd say Revelations, although I'm not convinced they still do a 9mm QR version?
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    njee20 wrote:
    Have you really got F100s on a Fuel Ex? A bike of that vintage would have had at least 120s, if not longer.

Yep basic ones are still available in qr. Revs are ok, but I'd be tempted by an x-fusion velvet, gets very good reviews.
  • CB75
    CB75 Posts: 49
    how much of a budget do you have to spend?
  • Torres
    Torres Posts: 1,266
    lawman wrote:
    njee20 wrote:

Yep basic ones are still available in qr. Revs are ok, but I'd be tempted by an x-fusion velvet, gets very good reviews.

From experience I'd rather have a rev than a velvet. Both are excellent forks, but I found the rev to be plusher through the initial stroke. They're roughly the same money, but UK back up for RS is much better.
    What We Achieve In Life, Echoes In Eternity
  • Gwaredd
    njee20 wrote:

Cheers all. Yes, the Trek initially came with 130's, but I bought the frame 2nd hand with no forks, so took the F100's off my hardtail & popped them on it. It rides great & is really chuckable, but I feel I'm a little too stooped & would like to sit the front up a bit more.

Budget is around the £200 mark I'd say.
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    You should be able to find 2nd hand pair of Revs for £200 without too much trouble. Brand new for £300 and occasionally I have seen them on offer at £240.

The Sektor is a budget version of the Rev so you might be able to find them brand new closer to your £200 budget.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    There's a set of Reba race 120mm on the classified section providing the stearer is long enough
  • Gwaredd
    Cheers for the recommendations guys. Bought a set of as new 2012 Revelation RLT 's for £250 the other day & have to say they're great forks. OK, so I went for the 150mm in the end, but they actually measure 145mm from dust seal to crown & with the lush sag I'm running, they come in at 130mm on the bike ;-)

Need to head over to Swinley soon & test them out properly!
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    you can use a spacer to reduce travel down to 130mm. I'm told its a relatively simple procedure to do (never tried it yet)