SRAM 3.0 Front derailleur problem

aarondown
aarondown Posts: 16
edited January 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
HI there,

I have an old Iron Horse MTB (about 16 years old) that I have used as my commuter for a number of years now.

Main spec. below:

7 spd
New BB - Shimano UN55 68x118 (previously it was a 68x122.5 but crankset instructions recommend 118)
New triple crankset - Shimano Alivio M610 (previously shimano triple - can't remember model off the top of my head)
New rear mech - SRAM X4 (same as previous)
New front mech - SRAM 3.0 (same as previous)
SRAM X3 shifters - not replaced with this overhaul

As part of a general overhaul I have replaced the above components and have a problem with the front mech.
I have previously replaced an old Shimano front dérailleur with a SRAM 3.0 and have now replaced the old 3.0 with a new 3.0, i.e. exact same model. It worked fine on the old 3.0 until it seized up.

The problems is that, in its un-tensioned state, the front mech positions the cage very close to the BB, even with the L screw wound right in. There is sufficient swing in the mech to reach the top ring but it difficult to get that far via the shifters with such a biased starting point. The solution I have at the moment has been to pull the cage out whilst the shifter is at "1" and the cable not tightened. I then clamp the cable so that it is already under tension at its 'resting point'. This is working for now (with occasional cage contact with the chain) but I wondered whether there's something I'm missing that may fix this problem more satisfactorily.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Comments