RP laps - London Dynamo

BigLights
BigLights Posts: 464
edited January 2013 in Road beginners
Hello

Does anyone have a feel for how fast the London Dynamo characters go on their Saturday morning beginner laps? Their website says 4 laps at a 'steady' pace but no further guidance. I did 3 laps (clockwise) on my own on Saturday at about 23-24 minutes a lap (very greasy surfaces, traffic and hungover so I think I can comfortably get quicker than that).

Would I be embarassing myself if I hopped on to one of their intro rides? I'm no olympic hero but equally I'm totally capable of lapping RP sensibly.

thanks.

Comments

• bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    I would imagine sub-20, but the beginner group might be slower. Just give it a go - you'll be surprised how much faster you are in a group and worst case scenario you'll get dropped - so what?!
  • BigLights
    BigLights Posts: 464
    Yup - I think I will. As you say, there's not really much downside in RP...just peel off and go home if it's all a bit hectic.
  • izza
    izza Posts: 1,561
    Regents or Richmond?

If Richmond then have a go, if you're doing Regents in 23 minutes then I think you may need to practice a bit more.
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    Was around 24 mins when i did it. It was not for me, but the guys that were coaching were good, and very very helpful. I peeled off and left them to it, but that by no means means anything derogatory, more an issue with my fitness/ health as i was coming down with a bronchial infection, as i found out later that evening when out on the sauce, and not being able to speak!

Couldn't reccomend them enough actually, very helpful.
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    oh and the beginner one is a 3 lapper (or was when i went on it).
  • wavefront
    wavefront Posts: 397
    BigMat wrote:
    I would imagine sub-20, but the beginner group might be slower. Just give it a go - you'll be surprised how much faster you are in a group and worst case scenario you'll get dropped - so what?!

I'd agree with them doing sub 20's. Just after the summer I was there doing 22's anti clockwise and got lapped (at a considerable rate) by the three groups that were out that morning. Now the New year and the culling is over I think I'll re-start my weekly eve ride there.
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    Frankly too fast and often with too big groups, it's a 20mph speed limit even for 'The Dynamo'.

They should be on the road, it's not a private race track.
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    Flasher wrote:
    Frankly too fast and often with too big groups, it's a 20mph speed limit even for 'The Dynamo'.

They should be on the road, it's not a private race track.
    goes off to get popcorn.

sits down excitedly.