Getting to the TdF

CiB
CiB Posts: 6,098
edited January 2013 in Commuting chat
Got a week's passout to scuttle off to see the TdF in July for a week, from the rest day on the 8th to the end of that week. Maybe some bloke's popping round for coffee while I'm away - who cares? I get to take in some stages. 8)

Plan A is to take in the stage to St Malo on Tuesday on the 9th, then the TT on the Wednesday followed by the start from Fougeres on the Thursday with a flexible return to England to be back in time to show up for work on the Monday.

Tried booking ferries to N France tonight; nothing doing, all booked. Am I missing something? Any tips on getting there? Anyone going who's willing to hide a stowaway in the boot etc etc... Thought it would be a doddle this time of year but apparently not.

Comments

• Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    I know that KW are organising a trip along these lines, I'm just tagging along with that. Are you planning on taking the car or to cycle? If the former then that might explain why the ferry is booked. Otherwise that's a lot of foot passengers too!
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    The plan is to take the bike and wing it. Sorry for the loosely worded first post; it was a bit late and I'd had enough of going down cul-de-sacs trying to book a ferry crossing.

Any of the south coast ferries to St Malo seem to be full in terms of getting foot passenger + bike over. I'll have another go tonight but a Plan B has emerged that involves going by car via Calais and taking a tent (or the caravan) and having a base at a camp site then ride to each day's events. The ideal would be to hop over by bike on the Sunday, that way I don't have to worry about transport down or leaving the car somewhere as I can be dropped off at the port.

What's KW?
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.