Garmin 800 climb data

drphil
drphil Posts: 9
edited January 2013 in Road general
Reviewing stats of some old rides I noticed wildly different climb data for two almost identical rides, as recorded on my garmin 800. Rest of the data seem OK. The guys I rode with have stats similar to the first time we did this ride, so I seem to have a blip in the recorded climb stats for one ride. Anyone got an obvious explanation? Entire route mapped OK, stopped in our usual place for a snack, all mileage and times accurate, just the feet climbed, error of over 1000 feet! Unit worked perfectly for two subsequent rides with good agreement between riders and with previous rides.

Comments

• ror3h
    ror3h Posts: 68
    The 800 has a barometric altimiter, therefore it responds to air pressure change with the weather. Sometimes this can create errors like you describe, but it's only really obvious when you stop in the middle of the ride. Either that, or the little hole on the back for the altimiter was blocked up with a drop of water?
  • drphil wrote:
    stopped in our usual place for a snack, all mileage and times accurate, just the feet climbed, error of over 1000 feet!
    That's one hell of a cold front went through while you were at the cake stop. Were there tornadoes as well?
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • drphil
    drphil Posts: 9
    Thanks, it was absolutely p###ing down for almost all the ride. The water in the port theory is a good one.