Getting older: Does one grow?

neilo23
neilo23 Posts: 783
edited January 2013 in The cake stop
I'm not talking about getting fat, I mean expanding. Why is it that, although I'm a couple of pounds lighter than a couple of years ago, I can't get into a pair of trousers for which I previously needed a belt? I'm still slim but even if I breathe in it's as if I was never able to fit into them. I certainly haven't gained any muscle. Do men start getting child-bearing hips after 40?

Comments

• A couple of possibilities:

- although you're much the same weight there's more fat now around your middle (so less muscle elsewhere)
    - the trousers have shrunk in the wash.

Sadly the laws of physics are what they are. They p*ss me off too.
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • neilo23
    You mean that gravity really exists? I would mind the growth a few inches lower than my waist. I'm obviously talking about my thighs
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    One of the main reasons that men gain weight around their middle is that your metabolic rate slows down as you age.
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,091
    No you shrink - something to do with the grisle between the vertebrae. But don't dispair, your nose and your ears keep growing till you die !
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • neilo23
    No you shrink - something to do with the grisle between the vertebrae. But don't dispair, your nose and your ears keep growing till you die !

My nose and ears can't get any bigger!
  • team47b wrote:
    One of the main reasons that men gain weight around their middle is that your metabolic rate slows down as you age.
    Is that cause or effect?

By which I mean, does sitting on one's fat ar*e as one tends to, as one gets older, mean that we lose muscle and hence metabolic rate, and thus gain weight more easily?

Or is it an actual age-related thing, whereby MR decreases, all other things being equal (which they never are, of course, so how can you tell?)?

In which case, it's really that we keep on stuffing food down our necks as we get older, without taking into account the lower metabolic rate.

Either way, the laws of physics are what they are. You don't put on weight without eating more than you burn.
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    I agree that you don't put on weight without eating more than you burn, I just meant that people don't allow for a slower MR.

Don't really understand why some people 'give in' to the idea that you get slower as you age, aren't we all faster and fitter than we were 10 years ago? Or is it just that the bikes are getting better?
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • Yeah right, upwards and onwards,etc. As I age I definitely have slowed down. A combination of health issues, and a lack of pressure from the needs of employment. I now have to address the need to reduce the food intake and up the exercise to keep weight under control. A good reason for N+1 IMO.
    'fool'
  • When you're young, you have no responsibilities to anyone but yourself. As you get older, more and more sh1t creeps alongside that you can't ignore.

The 'not ignoring the sh1t' takes more and more effort, leaving less and less time for running around having fun, thus distracting yourself from eating and drinking to take your mind off the accumulated sh1t.

It does get harder, but I absolutely refuse to believe that there's anything other than circumstantial bolx going on. That leaves me free to believe that providing I eat properly and exercise, I'll live forever. Anyone that wants to tell me any different can sod off.

Denial? It's a river, goddamn.
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,965

Apparently this happens everyday too, you wake up a little taller than when you went to bed.

The older I get, the better I was.