Been p!ssing razorblades since ride this morning.

Bustacapp
Bustacapp Posts: 971
edited January 2013 in Road beginners
Anyone else ever get this? I don't wear padded kex and it's never been a problem before. However I did feel pressure on the underside of my knob throughout the latter half of the ride.

Comments

• Strith
    Strith Posts: 541
    Really! My urine is normally liquid and non metallic. Drink plenty of water and if it persists go to the doc. I've never had such an issue.
  • elderone
    elderone Posts: 1,410
    does sound like something a doctor needs to investigate.
    Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori
  • Gizmo_
    Gizmo_ Posts: 558
    Did you stop and attend to any damsels in distress at any stage?
    Scott Sportster P45 2008 | Cannondale CAAD8 Tiagra 2012
  • Bustacapp
    Gizmo_ wrote:
    Did you stop and attend to any damsels in distress at any stage?

No!
  • Bustacapp
    Strith wrote:
    Really! My urine is normally liquid and non metallic. Drink plenty of water and if it persists go to the doc. I've never had such an issue.

That was about as funny as my burning urethra.
  • Strith
    Strith Posts: 541
    Bustacapp wrote:
    Strith wrote:

That was about as funny as my burning urethra.

Sorry, I shouldn't extract the urine.....
  • Let's get this back on track.....

Yes, I have had this before. After riding a Time Trial last year I came in the house and had the same as you describe. At the time I was using a saddle that I now know doesn't suit me, and as it was a Time Trial I was on the aero bars and leaning forward more than normal, so I too had a numb 'knob' for about the last 15 minutes of the race. This I'm sure was caused by the wrong saddle.

What saddle are you using? I think it may be time to try padded shorts and possibly a new saddle.
  • Bustacapp
    Let's get this back on track.....

Yes, I have had this before. After riding a Time Trial last year I came in the house and had the same as you describe. At the time I was using a saddle that I now know doesn't suit me, and as it was a Time Trial I was on the aero bars and leaning forward more than normal, so I too had a numb 'knob' for about the last 15 minutes of the race. This I'm sure was caused by the wrong saddle.

What saddle are you using? I think it may be time to try padded shorts and possibly a new saddle.

Thanks. Your reply has helped relieve some anxiety! The saddle I'm using is a stock Carrerra thing and usually causes no problems. I think I will invest in some padded shorts!
  • sounds like too much pressure on the area, which can lead to numbness and pain when urinating. padded shorts will help, if it persists with those, look at the saddle...
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    Bustacapp wrote:
    However I did feel pressure on the underside of my knob throughout the latter half of the ride.

Why were you resting your forehead on the stem :?:
  • ademort
    ademort Posts: 1,924
    I,ve had this problem on and off for the last 10 years or so. Started when i was about 40 years old. Had tests etc but Doctors are convinced it.s just an infection. TBH i would give it a week and if it,s no better go to the GP.If it does turn out to be an infection you will get some medication and after a couple of days you should feel the difference. But good luck with it.
    Ademort
    ademort
    Chinarello, record and Mavic Cosmic Sl
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura
  • Bustacapp
    ShutUpLegs wrote:
    Why were you resting your forehead on the stem :?:

didnt_read_midget_gif.gif
  • After riding a Time Trial last year I came in the house
    Did well then?

(grabs coat and runs)
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • Bwgan
    Bwgan Posts: 389
    Lol
  • I did a good many miles of intense cycling before I redesignated padded shorts from 'something I'd like to own when I have some spare cash' to 'necessity'. Do it now and do yourself a favour; I never had what you describe but some of the saddle sores I had back when I was getting into faster riding were absolutely horrible and lasted for weeks on end. One of the best investments in my cycling I've ever made.
  • but some of the saddle sores I had back when I was getting into faster riding
    Faster, or further, or both? Just wondering - I'm up to about 70 miles now (only once so far), no trace of saddle sores with some pretty basic padded Muddy Fox tights.

Hard to tell, I'm sure, but do you reckon I'm in the clear, or is it still something to expect as the distances and/or speeds increase?
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
    Faster, or further, or both? Just wondering - I'm up to about 70 miles now (only once so far), no trace of saddle sores with some pretty basic padded Muddy Fox tights.

Hard to tell, I'm sure, but do you reckon I'm in the clear, or is it still something to expect as the distances and/or speeds increase?

If you get on with the saddle you will be fine. If it doesn't fit well like my saddle on my Carrera, it can turn into hell. I've had problems with being completely numb while trying out this saddle. Not fun!!!
  • peat
    peat Posts: 1,242
    Try tipping the nose of your saddle down a degree (certainly no more than 2deg). I found it relieved all my saddle/gooch interface woes, but naturally it shifts the weight forward and to the wrists which can cause problems of their own. I'm still evaluating the effects.
  • Lookyhere
    Lookyhere Posts: 987
    assuming you ve not been out shxggxxx then you ve possibly bruised your helmet :oops: try drinking a bi carb solution or cranberry juice - that s my gf s advice!
  • Bustacapp
    Lookyhere wrote:
    assuming you ve not been out shxggxxx then you ve possibly bruised your helmet :oops: try drinking a bi carb solution or cranberry juice - that s my gf s advice!

Well the only shagging I ever do would be the missus so it had better not be a STD!!

Anyway, thanks for the advice. It's eased up a bit but might try that when I get home.

Faster and more frequently; I was doing a job that required an 18 miles each way commute and was regularly doing it in 50 minutes (sometimes faster) to 1:10 if the traffic was really bad. I've never been one to leave enough time to pace myself anyway. :lol:

Your shorts may well continue to be fine for what you're doing. You might experience chafing as intensity and duration increase, but I wouldn't assume it to be a given, and ultimately the pads don't last forever anyway. If you decide to have a go at a 600km Audax or a 12 hour time trial or something like that however, you may want to reconsider, but that's another matter. The shorts I was wearing when I was having problems were either fairly ordinary cargo shorts and underwear or old polyester PE shorts sans underwear; I ditched the former for the latter because though the PE shorts provided me with much less protection from the saddle, there was also less chafing. Neither was a good solution, so you've got better than I had!

As for saddle sores, if my experience is anything to go by the initial damage is what you need to avoid; after that they just get worse and the only way to get rid of them is to not cycle and allow them to heal; hence mine would last for weeks because I don't drive and the place I was working at doesn't have a station.
  • Bustacapp
    Pain has gone now. I think it was caused by me trying to climb a monster hill seated on the drops. It just squashed the hell out of my junk!