rear mech guard???

carbonkid
carbonkid Posts: 52
edited January 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
just fitted my new sram xo rear mech and shifter and have been reading a few worrying reviews about how easy it is to snap the carbon cage on the rear mech. so was thinking back to the 1990's when every mountain bike was fitted with a metal guard. is there a reason you dont see them on bikes any more? maybe just fashion or the fact the guard didnt really do much?

Comments

• mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    My little girl's new bike came with one on (and red jockey wheels, still annoys me I haven't got them).

8255729124_45f824e44b_z.jpg

I'd imagine the reason they are no longer fitted is because they are likely to cause more accidents as they get caught on things and won't snap. I'd rather my mech broke than my mech guard got tangled up in something and knocked me off the bike.
  • yeah good point, might try to make a carbon guard that will snap under impact, bit like a rear mech hanger is supposed to do, let you know if successfull
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    They were never on 'decent' bikes, always a BSO/kids bike thing, where they're still prevalent.
  • MTBUK
    MTBUK Posts: 146
    My zesty has a smart carbon fin that protects the rear mech. :)
    Orange 5 Pro 650b 2014
    Orange Crush 650b 2014
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    My specialized came with a carbon fin also, but since i have a shadow mech i see no point in fitting it.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    carbonkid wrote:
    just fitted my new sram xo rear mech and shifter and have been reading a few worrying reviews about how easy it is to snap the carbon cage on the rear mech. so was thinking back to the 1990's when every mountain bike was fitted with a metal guard. is there a reason you dont see them on bikes any more? maybe just fashion or the fact the guard didnt really do much?
    Seems a bit pointless to have a superlight carbon mech and add a chunk of metal to protect it. The little carbon wing on the Zestys looks ok though.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools