Is it worth setting gearing the same on both bikes.

elderone
elderone Posts: 1,410
edited January 2013 in Road beginners
Due to halfords mis information i thought i was riding with a compact 50/34 but turns out its a standard 53/39 with a 26/11 rear cassette.Now the new bike is compact so is it worth changing the old one to compact with a 30/12 rear for hills,so both bikes are the same.
My logic is that if they are the same then im training roughly the same on either bike which is consistent.One the other hand,the old bike is much harder work around here so gives a good work out.
Any thoughts?

PS..on the up side im totally chuffed i,ve been doing the hills on a harder set up than i realised which has definately been bonus :D
Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori

Comments

• I have two bikes with the same gearing, it means I can easily swop wheels between the two if I need to. Not sure if there's any other advantage though.
  • Ber Nard
    Ber Nard Posts: 827
    elderone wrote:
    My logic is that if they are the same then im training roughly the same on either bike which is consistent.One the other hand,the old bike is much harder work around here so gives a good work out.

If the perceived effort is the same on both bikes when you are training then the gearing doesn't come into it - you'll be doing the same amount of work but just be riding in a different gear ratio .

However, it sounds like you may have been struggling with the standard chainset and be more comfortable on a compact. If that's the case it may be worth making the switch.

Rob
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I can't see any point in swapping gears unless you're not getting on with them.
    It's only gear ratios.
  • elderone
    Not so much struggling, as a newbie its all been an effort and I have just plodded on.
    The only issue i have is that on the local cat 3 hills its hard graft on a 39/26 and a 34/30 seems to my mind to be easier,although i havn,t tried it yet.
    So my point was will staying standard make me a better climber or will both sets not differ much.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Riding Lots will make you a better climber. The gearing won't.
  • elderone
    thanks for info,will safe me dosh and get a garmin instead then.