OBESE
OBESE Posts: 5
edited February 2013 in Health, fitness & training
Hi guys
I have to lose weight.
Currently 122.5kg
I need to hit 94kg
So a calorie deficit of 215600 should do it. :D
Now I appreciate this is going to take some time, but I need to lose as much as possible by late March for a works medical.
SO, the question is, what is the safest calorie deficit ?
Lets assume that I do know what healthy foods are and eat well but do a great deal of excercise, cut out boose, biscuits and crisps, control portion size etc. can I do a massive calorie deficit upto March and then ease it up?

What is safe?

Comments

• OBESE
    OK some recalculations as I entered the wrong height. :lol:

If I have a daily deficit of 1400 to 1600 calories I should get down close enough to pass the bloody BMI test.
    My BMR is 2375 (at current weight)
    A 4.2 mile run today burned 844cal according to Mr Garmin.

So is a calorie deficit at that rate ok?

Any thoughts?
  • kammybear
    kammybear Posts: 500
    Try no/low carbs.

It's the easiest way to lose the pounds. Eat whatever you like, as much as you like but no bread, pasta, rice, milk, dairy.

The pounds will fly off.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,873
    How often are you exercising? Also are you cycling, being a cycling forum after all!
  • i lost 4 stone in 3 months a couple of years ago with no problems or side effects, which is roughly what you're looking at. all i did was eat fruit and yoghurt(low fat) for breakfast and lunch, with a healthy low fat dinner with no booze!!!!!!!!!!! mon to friday. ate and drank what i liked sat, usually had bacons sunday morning followed by a roast dinner then back to the monk like living sunday tea time. mix it with plenty of excercise (cycling, swimming and squash was what i did) and the weight litterally fell off at a rate of up to 6lb a week.
    pity those who don't drink, the way they feel when they wake is the best they will feel all day

voodoo hoodoo
  • Stu Coops
    Stu Coops Posts: 426
    kammybear wrote:
    Try no/low carbs.

It's the easiest way to lose the pounds. Eat whatever you like, as much as you like but no bread, pasta, rice, milk, dairy.

The pounds will fly off.

Take no notice of this he must have got it from a Christmas cracker "Eat whatever you like,unless your going to give some constructive correct advice say nothing.
    Zesty 514 Scott Scale 20 GT Expert HalfwayupMTB
  • Kaz_S
    Kaz_S Posts: 22
    Loosing weight is easy, as long as you're determined! Willpower will be your best friend.

The best motto, is everything in moderation! Don't completely cut out carbs, that's the worse thing you can do as the weight will fly back on as soon as you start eating them again, but do cut them down.

Think of it as more of a lifestyle change, rather than a diet.

I lost 2.5 stone over a 9 month period (1lb per week), that was a year ago and my weight has been the same ever since.

Less carbs, more protein, more good fats.

Loosing weight is 80% nutrition, 20% exercise. Exercise becomes more important when you're at your goal weight to help maintain when you treat yourself.
    Giant Trance and Specialized Allez
  • OBESE
    edited January 2013
    Thanks for the responses guys.
    So far this week I have run 12 miles (and about to go and make that 16 for the week).
    Had a 2 hour Ju Jitsu session (white belt with two tags).
    Had no booze for 7 days (which is a big change for me as I'm a bit of a guzzler and have consistently drank too much for the vast part of my adult life).
    Thanks for the advice Kaz, Eaten really well in terms of only good carbs (brown basmati, new potatoes and very little wholegrain bread and wholemeal pasta), lots of veg and a bit of fruit with a little red meat and mainly chicken combined with better portion control.
    Heading off to the city later today for some shopping and will purchase some scales along with a new sprocket and chain ring for my mountain bike (Alfine 11 on a hard tail).
    Tracks are still really really yucky here at the moment, but a few road miles wont go amiss. Time to dust off the old touring bike for the non run days.

Thinking of signing up to Inverness half marathon as a target for the running training, followed by some sportive rides after that.

Right, off for a run (each successive run is getting a little less gruesome-at least from my perspective, pity the onlooker though :lol:
  • OBESE
    Woodmonkey wrote:
    i lost 4 stone in 3 months a couple of years ago with no problems or side effects, which is roughly what you're looking at. all i did was eat fruit and yoghurt(low fat) for breakfast and lunch, with a healthy low fat dinner with no booze!!!!!!!!!!! mon to friday. ate and drank what i liked sat, usually had bacons sunday morning followed by a roast dinner then back to the monk like living sunday tea time. mix it with plenty of excercise (cycling, swimming and squash was what i did) and the weight litterally fell off at a rate of up to 6lb a week.
    Wow 6lb a week, thats around 2.5kg a week.
    Well impressive !
    Inspirational.
    8)
  • What fruit were u eating and how many pieces?? Also muller light yoghurt ok??
  • used to have a banana first thing, then anything, mostly apples, oranges, grapes because they are cheap and i was eating lots, but pretty much anything. it was in the summer which made eating fruit all day easier. it was almost always muller light yoghurts unless something else was on offer or i fancied it. i also drank quite a lot of proper coffee which seemed to stave off hunger!
    pity those who don't drink, the way they feel when they wake is the best they will feel all day

voodoo hoodoo
  • Hi mate, while i've not looked to lose quite as much as you, few thoughts:
    - I think recommended calorie deficit on plans i've hovers around 1 pound weight a week. This probably roughly runs a 500 calorie deficit, but differs person to person. At the moment i'm maintaining a bit more than that, but it's definitely with a fairly short term view (i.e. a month) which i'll reduce when my training picks up.

- Based on your goal for March, i'd probably argue that you'd have to maintain a deficit that isn't entirely healthy, but not to say it can't be done and i'm not a doctor. Too much, you'll get sick, which will derail your fitness plans etc.

- Really recommend using something like myfitnesspal, website or app. It's free, and you can track everything, including your exercise. It keeps you honest, i'm sure there are also other similar options out there.

- I wouldn't get too hung up on low carbs / now cards / no fat etc. They are all diet tactics (which can work) to reduce your calorie intake. If you track what you eat closely, you will realize what can / can't go for. But I generally think going cold turkey on entire food groups isn't particularly balanced.

And you haven't mentioned cycling in your training plans, get on a bike!

Cheers
  • after replying on this i decided i could do with dropping a bit of weight as it's slowly been creeping up and a heavy christmas saw the scales nearing 16 st, so thanks for the inspiration and i started monday morning pretty much sticking to what i wrote in my earlier post.

monday morning 15st 12.apart from the food and no drink i've been to the gym 3 time and done 2 bike rides (15 mile off road route and 10 mile canal path)

friday morning 15st 7. it's been tough, especially on the food front but i'm glad i stuck with it and looking forward to a beer tonight

voodoo hoodoo