Dan "the man" Lloyd to head The Global Cycling Network

jerry3571
jerry3571 Posts: 1,532
edited January 2013 in Pro race
This popped up on my Facebook-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... Zao6H5FavA

I think it's a subscription channel which has just kicked off.

Jerry
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving”- Albert Einstein

"You can't ride the Tour de France on mineral water."
-Jacques Anquetil

Comments

• David Millar's involved, too

Pleased things are working out for Dan Llloyd post-retirement - he kinda got screwed over by JV. Out with him and Roger Hammond and in with Dekker. Oh well, that's Garmin innint
  • phil s
    phil s Posts: 1,128
    I can tell you a bit about it as I was out in Dubai producing and filming him. Yes, it's a subscription, but in the sense of Youtube subscription, i.e. click "Subscribe" and it's free. The project is backed by Google, and they are keen to see that numbers are good for the channel to survive. There's a mix of How To videos, top 10s, and then news and behind the scenes from pro races (most important part!)
    For the channel to do well, it does need subscribers, same as with any business model really - hint there, guys.
    -- Dirk Hofman Motorhomes --
  • Inside goss! What else have you got for us?
  • phil s
    phil s Posts: 1,128
    I can tell you that this is backed by Google, whose vision is to create a bunch of news, sport and lifestyle channels of broadcast standard on Youtube. It's interesting because the technology is really opening up for some creative production in the near future, moving Youtube away from merely being a platform for quirky home videos. In terms of content on GCN, I can't say too much here about race rights but there will be content, behind-the-scenes goodness, and reaction from all the major races.
    -- Dirk Hofman Motorhomes --
  • Is including Millar a wise move? I realise he is friends with the owners etc but he is a sign that doping pays. They might as well have him on with Danielson, Zabiskie and Vandervelde and talk about how they screwed the sport for money!
  • Doping pays?

He lost more than he gained financially if you believe his book.
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    In any case surely we are mature enough that we can accept someone who doped doesn't have to be ostracised for the rest of their life. Doping was part of cycling - pretending otherwise is treating the audience like idiots.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    I've subscribed. Good luck to em - more resources, the more, erm, time I spend looking at them?
  • Greggyr
    Greggyr Posts: 1,075
    I've watched a couple of things, which were very good.
    Have a look at The Bike Lane show on www.cyclingtips.com.au

Obviously Australian-focused but very good