1976 0LMO

inseine
inseine Posts: 5,788
edited January 2013 in Your road bikes
Picked this up today, so as you can see I need to change the saddle and wheels, find some lever hoods (how much!!!!) and a few other odds and ends. I'm thinking about a respray and change back to Olmo stickers. It was bought new from a shop called Mexico 2000 and they put there stickers on (weird). I have the original receipt for 3550 francs.
It's Campag record throughout and just needs a bit of TLC. The pantagraphed stem, chainset and post are very nice.

8350560924_7ba064ab25.jpg
8350535536_fc3ebe39aa.jpg
8349478577_1c1b59bb39.jpg
8350551710_984a20caff.jpg
8349497643_fbfd59290a.jpg
8349493621_be70e97522.jpg
8349495643_4fd8bc79cb.jpg

Comments

• Great bike, but lower the stem a couple of inches... :wink:
    left the forum March 2023
  • inseine
    Great bike, but lower the stem a couple of inches...

Yeah, as I said, I bought it today and it's already dismantled. The post will go up and the stem will be slammed! :wink:
    I've got other wheels and I've got to choose a saddle.
  • The wheels are actually very nice and I like the colour a lot, would not bother with a respray. Agood proper polish will bring it back to its original glory
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    And are those Vittoria tyres I spy?
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • inseine
    Yes, Rubinos, but the wheels are not going back on. The bloke I bought it from is 65 but he was 29 when he bought it! It was a cracking bike back then but he changed the wheels recently cos he didn't want to ride tubs and I guess the saddle was kinder on his back side. He binned the old stuff! He only sold it cos the shop quoted him 150 euros to put a flat bar and levers on, so he going to buy a Decathlon!
  • inseine wrote:
    Yes, Rubinos, but the wheels are not going back on. The bloke I bought it from is 65 but he was 29 when he bought it! It was a cracking bike back then but he changed the wheels recently cos he didn't want to ride tubs and I guess the saddle was kinder on his back side. He binned the old stuff! He only sold it cos the shop quoted him 150 euros to put a flat bar and levers on, so he going to buy a Decathlon!

Nemesis rims next on ?
  • inseine
    Nemesis rims next on ?

I was going to use what I've got, which is either some 80s Omega dark grey clincher rims and Mavic hubs, 90s Campag Shamals (bit too bling), or some 89s campag small flange and Mavic box section sprints. Then again I've a pair of Mavic Cosmic Ultimates which would be laugh on that bike.
  • inseine wrote:
    Nemesis rims next on ?

I was going to use what I've got, which is either some 80s Omega dark grey clincher rims and Mavic hubs, 90s Campag Shamals (bit too bling), or some 89s campag small flange and Mavic box section sprints. Then again I've a pair of Mavic Cosmic Ultimates which would be laugh on that bike.

First option seems the one to go for. I have a set of Mavic 501 hubs and they are amazing, kind of Chris King in modern days equivalent...I have built them on Crono 28 for a light set on my 80s bike. Very nice set
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    Damn. You are good at finding these things aren't you?
  • inseine

Too much time on the Internet! Quiet a lot of choice round here too.
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    inseine wrote:

Too much time on the Internet! Quiet a lot of choice round here too.
    Where is 'here'? I need to get their local paper!
  • If you live in France, you should do the Anjou Velo Vintage... it is a mighty event for period bicycles, second only to the Eroica
  • inseine
    Where is 'here'? I need to get their local paper!

Not much use to you but here's where i find quite a bit, hidden among the dross:

http://www.leboncoin.fr/annonces/offres ... elo+course

I put 'vélo course' into the search window and my region. Good stuff pops up once in a while, but you have to be patient. I could be your contact if you really find something, though I'm not sure you can't find the same in the UK?
  • maxlite
    maxlite Posts: 293
    Lovely bike, always fancied an Olmo Super Gentleman
    Cervelo R5
    Cinelli Saetta
    Giant XTC
    Raleigh Classic
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    Very nice, will definitely look better with new (Old) bar tape on there
  • inseine
    Very nice, will definitely look better with new (Old) bar tape on there

Yes, very true. Yesterday I found some NOS lever hoods at a reasonible price and i also ordered new rubber O rings for the brake adjusters. I've got a white Turbo saddle in OK condition and a black Rolls. I'm not sure whether to just go for clothe tape (black or maybe white) or something a bit more comfortable. I'm toying with the idea of a respray and Olmo stickers, but obviously all that will take a while.
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    Maybe you could double tape the bars as the cloth is pretty thin by modern standards or maybe some sort of padding under the bars to keep it retro.

Shame the turbo isn't black but the rolls should fit in pretty good too.
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet - chapeau that man.