cotton cycling caps why

samsbike
samsbike Posts: 942
edited July 2013 in Road beginners
I don't understand the point of these, are they supposed to he worn with a helmet or not?

Also if they are cotton dont they just get soaked in sweat? I probably need something for my bald scalp but I.can't see beyond my buff.

Comments

• nochekmate
    nochekmate Posts: 3,460
    samsbike wrote:
    I don't understand the point of these, are they supposed to he worn with a helmet or not?

Also if they are cotton dont they just get soaked in sweat? I probably need something for my bald scalp but I.can't see beyond my buff.

Can be worn under helmet or on its own, up to rider. Personally I think the cotton caps look cool. I also like a buff at this time of year although today was like Spring out there!
  • lc1981
    lc1981 Posts: 820
    They do soak up sweat, but I've rarely found them to be soaking wet at the end of a ride (unless it's raining) and I think it's preferable to the sweat dripping off my forehead. It's also nice to have a peak to use as a sun visor, plus the cap keeps your head protected from sunburn.
  • lc1981 wrote:
    plus the cap keeps your head protected from sunburn.

This.
    I had a rather fetching selection of sunburnt blotches on my noggin where my vents are last summer, not a good look.
  • Ber Nard
    Ber Nard Posts: 827
    I wouldn't ride in the rain without one. They do a brilliant job of keeping rain out of your eyes. Good for riding when the sun is low (Autumn/Spring)and when it's cool, but not cold, out.

One of my favourite bits of kit.

Rob
  • lc1981
    Also, they look pro, which is enough reason for some people.
  • big_p
    big_p Posts: 565
    Ber Nard wrote:
    I wouldn't ride in the rain without one. They do a brilliant job of keeping rain out of your eyes. Good for riding when the sun is low (Autumn/Spring)and when it's cool, but not cold, out.

One of my favourite bits of kit.

Rob

My thoughts exactly.
  • lc1981
    Ber Nard wrote:
    They do a brilliant job of keeping rain out of your eyes.

I forgot this reason, probably because I'm so used to wearing one that I no longer remember what happens when I don't!
  • Scrumple
    Scrumple Posts: 2,665
    lc1981 wrote:
    Also, they look pro, which is enough reason for some people.

What he said

Look for "Saferners" tootling round London parks in them, Rapha'd up.
  • They're just part of the cycling uniform and have been for decades, but they do work really well. The basic design came about before widespread (not mandatory) helmet use did, but they do work well with helmets; if some more so than others. It has to be said that they do work particularly well without a helmet (I did a lot of cycling before I could afford a helmet!), which also gives an iconic look, but I don't endorse riding without. Always use protection, kids.

Cotton is the most common and 'traditional' material, but there are other fabrics available. My caps are made by Walz; in 'moisture wicking' lightweight polyester and wool. The woollen one also has an ear flap which is brilliant in the chilly weather...
  • I have a few cotton ones & a really good hot weather synthetic type material cap by Sugoi. In cold weather i like to wear a my Castelli skull cap (not actually a cap) & then a cap over this under my helmet. In hot weather i just lose the skull cap. I am another baldy so have to plan my head protection wisely. I like the Assos summer caps. The only Assos kit i actually like!
  • keith57
    keith57 Posts: 164
    Impossible to ride up big hills in the Alps without one, it's the only way I've found to control the sweat running into my eyes!
    http://www.fachwen.org
    https://www.strava.com/athletes/303457

Please note: I’ll no longer engage deeply with anonymous forum users :D
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    They wouldn't be around still if they didn't do the job.
    Great underneath a helmet if it's peeing down.
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    Also good at night! I commute at some strange times and the number of Bulgarian taxi drivers around here who refuse to dip their main beams is crazy. All I have to do is look a bit further downwards and the problem is solved.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Yup, protecting your eyes when you get the driver who refuses to dip their beam at night, likewise, far more effective at keeping the cr@p out your eyes than any helmet peak.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • ianbar
    ianbar Posts: 1,354
    i have my cap to keep the cold wind off my head.
    enigma esprit
    cannondale caad8 tiagra 2012
  • sindreela
    sindreela Posts: 1
    edited April 2013
    according to your topic "cotton cycling caps why" because its necessary part of every time thats so important
    women baseball caps
  • philwint
    philwint Posts: 763
    They are just a fashion thing. I've been riding mountain bikes for years and never needed one (a buff if it's very cold is perfect), and I don't find being on the road suddenly creates a need for one.
  • johnny25
    johnny25 Posts: 344
    I don't have one of these.

I must get one now.
  • lc1981
    philwint wrote:
    They are just a fashion thing. I've been riding mountain bikes for years and never needed one (a buff if it's very cold is perfect), and I don't find being on the road suddenly creates a need for one.

There are plenty of good reasons to wear one given above. Perhaps when you're mountain biking, you expect to get splattered with mud and so having it on your glasses doesn't annoy you so much, but I find it very annoying to have water dripping down my glasses on the road, and a cap does a very good job of preventing it. As mentioned above, it also prevents sunburn to the head, and that can't be a bad thing.
  • cyco2
    cyco2 Posts: 593
    As it gets cold I use an A4 envelope and colder a plastic bread bag inside the helmet. Really cold I use a nylon cap or two which stretches over my ears. Whether on or off road I use a peaked helmet which I have extended with cardboard and gaffer tape. Very good when motorist don't dip their lights. However, I am able to give back what I get with a helmet mounted cree type light. :D
    ...................................................................................................

If you want to be a strong rider you have to do strong things.
    However if you train like a cart horse you'll race like one.
  • Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    I like to wear one under my crash hat.

The peak acts as a visor,and helps keep rain off my glasses, also the cap helps keep sweat from out of my eyes. A simple but useful piece of kit.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • mouth
    mouth Posts: 1,195
    I wear one because:

It keeps rain (or sweat) from getting in my eyes
    I won't wear a helmet with a peak when on my road bike
    Stops the sunburn/stencil look on my chrome dome
    Keeps my head a bit warmer when commuting at silly hours of the day/night ie between the hours of midnight and 5 am.

Also it's a lot easier to clean than the inside of my helmet.
    The only disability in life is a poor attitude.
  • Inutero
    Inutero Posts: 111
    johnny25 wrote:
    I don't have one of these.

I must get one now.

Me too. Any recommendations? :D
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    All the reasons are above. I didnt use one at first and I would sweat a lot and after a long ride taking off the lid made me look a bit of a mess, now coffee stops are no longer embarrassing and sweat no longer derips in my face.

I dont have a buff so its my protection in this cold weather under my lid, looks cool, keeps my head dry in rain and keeps out sunlight. Simple, cheap and effective. Get one.

Oh mines a Rapha.
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • samsbike
    samsbike Posts: 942
    Just an update. I finally yielded and got a cotton cap.

It has been very useful in preventing sweat going into my eyes and stopping my head burning. I am sure a buff would have worked as well, but the cap is just nicer.

Thanks all for the comments
  • Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    Being folically challenged and prone to sweating like a Geordie in a spelling test, I use a buff (bandana style) to keep the bonce sunburn free and to see where I’m going. I get accused of sporting a Pirates of the Caribbean look, but I know it’s more Keith Richards than Johnny Depp. :D
    Purveyor of "up" :)