Rear gears issue

apple eater
apple eater Posts: 302
edited January 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
On my last ride my gears stopped working at the handle bars switch but if i manually pulled the wire running down the bar on the frame they changed.

I've put a new cable and a new hangar on but still the gears will not change down from big gear to smallest gear. I followed a youtube video on how to set them up just so that i hadn't made a mistake. But no.

So i start with the chain on the smallest gear and change up/down accordingly. I managed to get them all working, although a bit tighter than normal. Again they stopped changing down from biggest to smallest but they would go smallest to largest. Now they just will not change down at all.

Any ideas? Up until the end of my last ride they were working fine.

The rear mech is an xram x4. operating on a 7 speed cassette instead of 8 but has always worked before. The rear mech is physically free and greased up so nothing is seizing,same as the cable and handle bar levers.
I don't know enough to make smart r's remarks about peoples choice of parts 'n' things, yet!

Comments

• sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    If you can manually change by pulling on the cable then the mech is fine.
    It sounds more like it could be a shifter pod problem or the inner is fouling somewhere between the shifter pod and the 1st frame butt('m assuming you don't have full outers).
    Did you replace inners and outers or just inners?
    If it's had new inners/outers then even if the shifter works without a cable and you get all the clicks it might still be worn/fecked.
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    Replace both the inners and outers. Check the rear mech isn't bent, and also check the cable is routed properly.
  • BigStu2
    BigStu2 Posts: 794
    Remove the cable from the rear mech and apply a little tension to it as you click through the gears, if the shifter cant move the cable then its time for a new shifter or a good cleanout if youv'e been hammering the mud.
    .........all
    ...at........work
    fun..................&
    ..no.............no
    .....is......play
  • the shifter seems to be naft as per the tests above. when i've looked around the sram sx 4 shifter is out of stock. Can i replace this with another shifter that won't require a replacement mech aswell? If not is there a good replacement mech shifter package?
    I don't know enough to make smart r's remarks about peoples choice of parts 'n' things, yet!
  • Lagrange
    Lagrange Posts: 652
    The shifters have a surprising life span. Open the shifter case - being careful with the indicator line. Give it a good seeing to with WD. Identify the ratchet pawl and work some grease into it. I did that and it worked fine....oh yes - reassemble the case.
  • Following the above advice I searched youtube and found an excellent step by step how to. Even though all looked ok i stripped it down to bare bones and rebuilt and regreased everything. Now my gears are better than ever.