!st time clipped in

sjireland
sjireland Posts: 35
edited January 2013 in Road beginners
Today was my first ride clipped in I had no issues clipping in or out :) The only problem i had was my left cleat came loose after about 14 miles. no idea why this happened :?

Comments

• smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    Tighten the release mechanism a bit, sounds too loose if you clip out on the move
  • lotus49
    lotus49 Posts: 763
    Do you mean that the cleat started to move in relation to the shoe or that your foot unclipped when you didn't want it to?

If it was the former, you just need to tighten the Allen bolts that attach the cleat to your shoe. If it was the latter do as SmoggySteve suggests.
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    Also, some cleats have a float so you can move you foot slightly, Good if you have bad knees. You get a few degrees movement from side to side. SPD-SL for example have yellow for float and red for fixed.
  • the cleat was coming loose from the shoe. I have tightened it up and will head out tomorrow to give it another go :D
  • lotus49
    lotus49 Posts: 763
    You don't want to overtighten them but it's worth keeping an eye on them. If they come properly loose they can be difficult to unclip and you might find yourself coming to a stop lying on your side still trying to unclip.
  • Same as you, 1st time clipped in. Managed 9.4 miles. No falls or issues did get a bit of cramp in right foot, loosened my shoes a tad and presto no more issue! Glad I made the switch