Chainring Nightmare

Headhuunter
Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
edited January 2013 in Commuting chat
I need to replace the drivetrain on my Focus Cayo but it's got a triple compact chainset. I've already got the large ring in stock and I ordered the 34t middle chainring.

The problem is the large ring I have is marked as a double chainring and now the 34t has arrived and it too is labelled as a double chainring... No amount of Googling will seem to show up a Shimano 105 34 or 50t chainring for triple. Most chainrings I can find on the net do not seem to be marked triple or double.... Also some chainrings seem to be marked as suitable for 10 speed, 9 speed etc whereas others aren't.

Is there really much difference between all these chainrings or can I just use the "double" chainrings I already have on my triple set up? Does anyone know where I can actually get replacement triple specific chainrings?
Do not write below this line. Office use only.

Comments

• EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    C'mon people. HeadHuunter has problems with his ring!!

F'nnarr, f'nnarr.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • Headhuunter
    EKE_38BPM wrote:

F'nnarr, f'nnarr.

Oh god, I should have picked my wording better.... I'm not going to get a serious answer am I?
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... tedKingdom

Is that right? You didn't mention whether square taper or octalink....
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Headhuunter

Thanks but that looks like an older version... No idea about the square or octalink thing, don't even know what that is! However I think I've found an answer to my question, it does look like the triple chainrings are different, they have little pins and "ramps" to aid in shifting, so I think I might have to send my order back...
  • I need to replace the drivetrain on my Focus Cayo but it's got a triple compact chainset. I've already got the large ring in stock and I ordered the 34t middle chainring.

The problem is the large ring I have is marked as a double chainring and now the 34t has arrived and it too is labelled as a double chainring... No amount of Googling will seem to show up a Shimano 105 34 or 50t chainring for triple. Most chainrings I can find on the net do not seem to be marked triple or double.... Also some chainrings seem to be marked as suitable for 10 speed, 9 speed etc whereas others aren't.

Is there really much difference between all these chainrings or can I just use the "double" chainrings I already have on my triple set up? Does anyone know where I can actually get replacement triple specific chainrings?

Shouldn't the middle ring be a 39t. Is this what is causing the problem?
  • Headhuunter
    I need to replace the drivetrain on my Focus Cayo but it's got a triple compact chainset. I've already got the large ring in stock and I ordered the 34t middle chainring.

Shouldn't the middle ring be a 39t. Is this what is causing the problem?
    Yes it should, I'm going to have to send it back. Triple rings also have a different shape to help shifting
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    Why don't you just buy my spare 5700 triple chainset off me? Offers?
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • Headhuunter
    Is it new? Thing is I don't need the full chainset, just the 50 and 39t rings
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    EKE_38BPM wrote:

F'nnarr, f'nnarr.

Oh god, I should have picked my wording better.... I'm not going to get a serious answer am I?

I am quite disappointed at the lack of puns in this thread. I thought you guys were really going to stick it to him.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    I was going to suggest that Headhuunter had problems selecting which ring to go for but, unless I'm very mistaken, he has a preference for the single option....

Anyhow, returning to bicycles: MTFU and get a proper compact!
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,767
    EKE wants to stick it to HH. Cue childish sniggering.
    Now to be helpful(ish): when I changed the rings on my triple I don't remember seeking out triple specific ones. Thinking about it they don't have the pins and still work fine.
  • Headhuunter
    I was going to suggest that Headhuunter had problems selecting which ring to go for but, unless I'm very mistaken, he has a preference for the single option....

Anyhow, returning to bicycles: MTFU and get a proper compact!
    Yes, there's only 1 ring in my life at the moment... Back to bikes, it IS a compact, what I should be riding is a standard double like my ribble. I've only got a triple compact because when I bought the bike I didn't know what triple or compact was and the bike was in the sale... I've barely used the 3Rd ring, it's like new which is why it doesn't need replacing
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Some large rings are marked A and some are marked B. This should be apparent from the description on the website. They're used in case you want to go from a 53 or 52 to a 50 whilst keeping the 39.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    So... Sauron. You are after Narya, Nenya, and Vilya are you?

One Chain Ring to gear them all,
    One Chain Ring to align them,
    One Chain Ring to fear them all
    and in the darkness grind them.

200px-Unico_Anello.png
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Ian.B
    Ian.B Posts: 732
    Or try http://www.specialites-ta.com/TECH-files/Tableau%20ROUTE%20Shimano%202013.pdf? I used one to replace my middle ring. They do a wide range for doubles and triples and you can even choose a 61 tooth outer ring, should you wish to.
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426

No, but I've only done about 1000 miles on it. Currently sitting unused.
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • Headhuunter

No, but I've only done about 1000 miles on it. Currently sitting unused.
    Sent you pm