help find me IS calliper to post fork adapter

02gf74
02gf74 Posts: 1,170
edited January 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
I am struggling to find an IS callliper to post fork disc adapter, for 160 mm disc - anybody out here know where I can get one?
:?:

..... or am I being stupid in that an post calliper to IS fork mount dapater will fit?????

Comments

• Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    Superstar Components will have it.
  • cobba
    cobba Posts: 282
    KCNC is the only company that I know of that makes a 160mm adapter of the type that you need.

http://clee-cycles.co.uk/esite/P1043/product

*Not all IS calipers will work with this adapter.
    *This adapter won't work with all PM forks.

An adapter for fitting a PM caliper to a IS fork can't be used to fit a IS caliper on a PM fork.
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    Greer_ wrote:
    Superstar Components will have it.

Ahh maybe not, I just checked and they don't!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    A2Z did one I believe.....

Rather a waste though, for a 160mm disc a pm mount needs no adaptor so is the most rigid and lightest option....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • 02gf74

Rather a waste though, for a 160mm disc a pm mount needs no adaptor so is the most rigid and lightest option....

indeed so except my fork is post but calliper is IS.

Presently I am using a magura adapter but with 180 mm disc - I was hoping to downsize to 160 but it may not be physically possible to do.
  • The Rookie
    Why not (depending on brake) just swap to a pm caliper?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Or just stick with the 180 rotor. Simple.
    If the brakes have too much power a spritz of WD40 will sort it out*

*this is a lie.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cobba
    edited January 2013

The A2Z adapter is a 180mm adapter, Ashima, Hope, Shimano and Magura also make/made this adapter in the 180mm size.
    Shimano also made this type of adapter in the 170mm size but KCNC is the company that makes a 160mm adapter.
    02GF74 wrote:
    Presently I am using a magura adapter but with 180 mm disc - I was hoping to downsize to 160 but it may not be physically possible to do.

Here's a couple of photos of this adapter on different forks:
    160mm adapter + 180mm Caliper + 180mm Rotor
    160mm adapter + 160mm Caliper + 160mm Rotor

The 160mm adapter won't work on forks with a short bottom post mount like this, with a thick/wide bottom post mount like this or with two short post mounts like this.
  • 02gf74
    thank you - that was extremely helpful. :wink:

I found out that Shimano do a IS (calliper) to post (fork) adatper for 160 calliper to run 180 mm disc .... close but not quite.
    Also as you point out, KCNC make 3 similar adapters that allow 160 calliper to run with 160 mm, 180 mm and 203 mm discs. The 160 adapter will not work with some callipers and some forks.

The second photo for 160 mm disc is close to my set up - Fox fork and XTR calliper so it should work..... only downside it is red but I'll have to live with the colour clash.

(I am on the hunt for an m975 post calliper, as usual there are plenty of IS mount for sale but none post - later callipers are no good due to different colour)

if anyoby wants to swap an XTR m975 160 IS front calliper for a post mount then PM me.,
  • cobba
    02GF74 wrote:
    ..... only downside it is red but I'll have to live with the colour clash.

It wouldn't take long to get rid of that red anodized finish turn it into a silver adapter with some wet and dry sandpaper or a metal buffing wheel.
  • 02gf74
    it ain't gonna happen - fitted 160 disc and the calliper would need some metal filed off the lugs in order to fit in the gap between the posts.

so for now, will run with 180 mm disc until such time as I can get my hand on post mount calliper.
  • The Rookie
    I have an M965 PM caliper spare, it's Banjo fitting though which would mean a new hose (or connector), internals wise it is the same as the 975.....