Tyres

lancenewman1
lancenewman1 Posts: 36
edited January 2013 in Road beginners
ok as i make the plunge into road cycling, i'm wondering about tyres

my main concern if i'm honest is riding in the damp conditions and wet conditions that we here in newcastle refer to as summer.

the tyres that come on the roubaix don't look too grippy, of course i could be wrong... but what should i be looking for as a good solid damp condition tyre for maximum stability

Comments

• smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Use the search facility. This topic has been done to death in the last few weeks.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    FWIW the absence of tread has no bearing on the grip of a road tyre - it serves no purpose on tarmac / hard surfaces and likewise you can't 'aquaplane' a road tyre because the contact pressure of the tyre on tarmac is far too high. A wider tyre run at lower pressure will provide better grip than a skinnier one at higher pressure.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • On the recommendation of someone on here a few days ago I've just fitted some Vittoria Open Pave CG's. They really are superb and feel almost sticky
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    I'm guessing your Roubaix came with the same Specialized Roubaix tyres mine did. I like them so much I run them on one of my other bikes too. They're light, easy to get on and off the wheel and very grippy. What gives you grip at this time of year is a soft compound that'll dig into the road surface even when cold, these tyres seem pretty good at that. I'd stick with them.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Round ones.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}