Problem changing brake pads

jndb72
jndb72 Posts: 629
edited January 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,

Tried changing my front break pads this afternoon and I've run into a problem. I removed the wheel and gently pushed back the pistons using a flat head screwdriver (with the old pads still in). I then put the new pads in. This is where the problem starts, the pistons don't seems to be fully pushed back into the caliper. They are sticking out a few mm. When the wheel is then fitted it won't spin freely. I tried loosening the caliper, holding the brake and then re-tightining the caliper but still the same problem. Also, it seems when I manage to get 1 piston flush with the caliper it pops the other side out.

The brakes are Avid Elixir 3

Help....this is doing me swede in.

Cheers
2011 Canyon Nerve AM 5.0
2009 Specialized Rockhopper Disc

I might have alzheimer's but atleast I don't have alzheimer's

Comments

• i'd be tempted to try a couple of things, firstly pop the old pads in and try and get the pistons in as much as possible, (atleast you know that if you push one in and the other comes out that they are free moving) then it couldbe a case of spending som time to get the caliper centered, can take 5 mins, can take an hour! te loon bolts, squeeze lever and tighten up doesnt Always work, if your finding its takingfor eer to do,grab a cuppa, chill for ten and go back, every time ive done this its worked hahahh!
    (there is apossability that there may be Tiny amount too much fluid in the brakes?? bt knowin avid can bea Real pita to bleed up nice, i'davoid that thought for as long as possible!!)
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
    http://cornwallmtb.kk5.org/
    Cotic Soul, The bike of Legends!:wink: Yes, I Am a bike tart!
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1#16297481
  • jndb72
    That was my conclusion - too much fluid maybe.

With the pads out I can gently squeeze the brake and the pisons seem to move freely - they just won't retreat back flush with the caliper.

I've also tried re-centering the caliper - but with the same problem

Cheers
    2011 Canyon Nerve AM 5.0

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Sounds like the system has been overfilled by 'bleeding' when the pistons weren't pushed all the way in, remove bleed port screw at lever and then push the pistons back catching the overspill......
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • jndb72
    Sounds like the system has been overfilled by 'bleeding' when the pistons weren't pushed all the way in, remove bleed port screw at lever and then push the pistons back catching the overspill......

Cheers, I'll give that a go.
    2011 Canyon Nerve AM 5.0

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    But if the previous pads fitted, and no fluid has been added since, the new ones should fit.
    Try using a big screwdriver with the old pads in and turn it like a key, so it pushes both pads at the same time before you start messing with fluid.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    viewtopic.php?f=10004&t=12845025&p=17531134&hilit=bleed+avid#p17531134

The OP's second post.... even more convinced they are overfilled now!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.