rubber cable stops/guides

markyd3
markyd3 Posts: 132
edited January 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi Guys,

Im just in the process of tidying up an old Kona MTB i bought :-)

Im having trouble finding any rubber cable stops? all i can find are alloy ones.

does anyone know where i could get some rubber replacements ones as per the pic below... you will see someone previously replaced one of the rubber ones with an alloy one!!

Cheers

Mark

IMG_1887.jpg

Comments

• bikaholic
    bikaholic Posts: 350
    They are called ferrules and are made of plastic.

It appears that the metal ferrule is being used as a cablestop - the frame's cablestop seems to be drilled for full length housing.

The little rubber ring on the third cable is called a cable donut and usually comes as a set of three stuck together.

There are plenty available - just do a google search.
  • the metal one ios a brake one, i suspect that stop is a guide or the hyd. cable, te other two are std gear cale ends/ferrules, Any lbs will have them fr a few pence, or buy atub on ebay for a few quid,
    Or drill em out and run full outers,
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
    http://cornwallmtb.kk5.org/
    Cotic Soul, The bike of Legends!:wink: Yes, I Am a bike tart!
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1#16297481
  • markyd3
    markyd3 Posts: 132
    edited January 2013
    Ahhhh thanks guys

so the brake cable should have a full housing.. or as you say it was a guide for the hydraulic brake cable option....so maybe mine was done as a conversion to standard brakes!!

The bike is a MokoMoko and i have seen it with both V brakes and disk brakes!!

and the other things are just standard ferrules...

cool :-)

Wiggle here i come ;-)
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The brakes doesn't NEED a full length housing, but the frame can accept it, no pointing having it full length if you don't need it! With cables you'll have better brakes as it is, the frame being stiffer than an outer cable!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.