How to increase watts on strava?

Bwgan
Bwgan Posts: 389
edited January 2013 in Road beginners
Obviously I know it's not going to be accurate, but my 5 min power is 352w and 10 mins is 295w. I'm getting PRs very time I go out, so. I must be getting faster/fitter, but the watts never seem to go up

Comments

• napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    That's because the watts on Strava are miles out and worse, incredibly inconsistent.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • The only way to really and accurately increase your watts on Strava is to get a power meter then get stronger.
  • Bwgan
    Fair enough then, knew they wouldn't be accurate, but thought they would still increase. Maybe one day I'll log on and be 600 lol
  • Bwgan
    The only way to really and accurately increase your watts on Strava is to get a power meter then get stronger.

Just had a look, are they really £1000? :shock:
  • xcmad
    xcmad Posts: 110
    Maybe its calculated using your weight
  • schweiz
    schweiz Posts: 1,644
    Bwgan wrote:
    The only way to really and accurately increase your watts on Strava is to get a power meter then get stronger.

Just had a look, are they really £1000? :shock:

They can be but you can pick up a powertap hub for £5-600, a rim for £40 and 32 spokes for £26 which comes in at £570-£670. Oh, and you'll need either a Garmin Edge 705/500/800 or the Joule head unit too!
  • The Strava calculations do use your weight, yes. Best bet if you really want to log in and see a bigger number is to increase the weight set on your profile every day. If you "weigh" 700kg, you will get a very high power calculation from Strava. :roll:
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    How to put them up?

Log into Strava and list your bike weight as 20kg and add another 50 or 60kg to your weight for good measure. ;)
  • schweiz
    schweiz Posts: 1,644
    xcmad wrote:
    Maybe its calculated using your weight

It will be a calculation based amongst other things on rider weight, bike weight, speed, height change, an average coefficient of friction for a road surface and an average aerodynamic drag value.

Just bump up your weight by a 1000 kg and you'll have more power than Sellafield. Your W/kg won't improve though.

Compared to my powertap it's not too far out for the average power but far enough out to be of any use for training.
  • NapoleonD wrote:
    That's because the watts on Strava are miles out and worse, incredibly inconsistent.

Certainly on short segments I've got huge variations for same or close times.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    As an experiment I'm going to record a ride on strava and seperately with my garmin/powertap and see what the differences actually are...
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Bwgan
    NapoleonD wrote:
    As an experiment I'm going to record a ride on strava and seperately with my garmin/powertap and see what the differences actually are...

Be interesting to see!!