Bar tape & saddle colours?

mudcow007
mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
edited January 2013 in Commuting chat
like cuffs an collars, should they match?

i got a black saddle but just fitted some snazzy red tape - will i be mocked in the street..
Keeping it classy since '83

Comments

• gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    mudcow007 wrote:
    like cuffs an collars, should they match?

i got a black saddle but just fitted some snazzy red tape - will i be mocked in the street..

Pink Bar tape, White and Black saddle: Racer

No bar tape, White and Black saddle: Fixed

I would be inclined to scalp anyone that dared to laugh.....
  • mudcow007
    to be fair my tape is more pink than red - does this mean i have to ride like a man possessed now?
  • This is fully covered in the rules.

www.velominati.com/the-rules/

Roadrat (black) - black - black
    Canyon (gloss white) - white - white
    Willier (gunmetal fading to silver on head tube) - silver - black
    If I know you, and I like you, you can borrow my bike box for £30 a week. PM for details.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    This is fully covered in the rules.

http://www.velominati.com/the-rules/

Yes, but the rules are rubbish.

White bar tape is best avoided - even the Fizik stuff needs lots of cleaning to end up slightly off white. Really just go with black bar tape - even if it is infested with slugs and worms and foul diseases, it will still look like new after several years on the bike without any cleaning which is what matters. White won't be the same after one ride.

Then just choose whatever saddle colour looks best.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • I put white bar tape on the commuter (black saddle, purple frame). It looked really nice for about 15 minutes.

Then I went white again on the TT bike (black saddle, white frame). Still looks almost acceptable.

What's the best thing for cleaning white bar tape?
  • mudcow007

im told, replacing it with new white tape.......
  • Torvid
    Torvid Posts: 449
    I like to match the bar tape to the colour of the decals and the saddle to black.
    Commuter: Forme Vision Red/Black FCN 4
    Weekender: White/Black - Cube Agree GTC pro FCN 3
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Both can be any colour as long as its black...
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • Bar tape and saddle should both match the colour of the decals on the frame. No excuses.
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    gtvlusso wrote:

My fixie has pink bar tape :?:
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • gtvlusso
    jds_1981 wrote:
    gtvlusso wrote:

My fixie has pink bar tape :?:

That is just obscene..... :lol:
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Black saddle and red tape on one bike.
    red saddle and red tape on the other.

Selle Italia stuff is actually my new favourite tape - available at Planet X. Fizik is the next best thing. Both clean up very well.
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    Honey leather bar tape, honey leather Brooks saddle
  • prb007
    prb007 Posts: 703
    Hoopdriver wrote:
    Honey leather bar tape, honey leather Brooks saddle
    1354649784-37139300.jpg
    Planet X Ti Sportive; white Charge saddle and white Fizik bar tape (to the question above; kitchen wet wipes good for cleaning :D )
    Planet X Kaffenback; Brown Charge and Brown Fizik bar tape
    Felt Compulsion; White Charge and white Superstars grips (impossible to keep clean)
    On-one Inbred; White Charge and Black/white Ritchey grips (easier to clean!)
    I like to think I build a pretty bike (all above were built by myself) and collar and cuffs should
    always match; IMHO :)
    If Wales was flattened out, it'd be bigger than England!
    Planet X Ti Sportive for Sportives & tours
    Orange Alpine 160 for Afan,Alps & dodging trees
    Singlespeed Planet X Kaffenback for dodging potholes
    An On-One Inbred for hard-tail shenanigans...
  • I put white bar tape on the commuter (black saddle, purple frame). It looked really nice for about 15 minutes.

Then I went white again on the TT bike (black saddle, white frame). Still looks almost acceptable.

best thing for cleaning white bar tape i found was vanish spray, did the job and gave it a lovely scented smell :P
    Sorry its not me it's the bike ;o)

Strava Dude link http://www.strava.com/athletes/amander
    Commuting, Domestic & Pleasure : Specialized Sectuer Sport Disc

Please Sponsor http://www.justgiving.com/alister-manderfield1
  • gtvlusso
    I put white bar tape on the commuter (black saddle, purple frame). It looked really nice for about 15 minutes.

best thing for cleaning white bar tape i found was vanish spray, did the job and gave it a lovely scented smell :P

I'M BARRY SCOTT!!!!!

BANG AND THE DIRT IS GONE!
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    My pompino currently has a black and blue saddle (colours split down the centre) so I went with opposing black and blue bar tape and matching black and blue hoods.

No pics curently though...
  • gtvlusso
    My pompino currently has a black and blue saddle (colours split down the centre) so I went with opposing black and blue bar tape and matching black and blue hoods.

Pic or it does not exist....!
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    depends on the colour of the rest of the bike - if there are accent colours on the frame (brand lettering, flashes etc) then use this as a guide

Cif cleaner for white tape
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • rubertoe
    So now i'm looking at yellow Charge Spoons and some tarty yellow tape.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

• notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Black Bar Tape & Hoods, Black Saddle. Red frame, white detail, black wheels. I like to keep it coordinated. :)
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    My Bianchi is Red with a mainly white decals with the odd dash of celeste and italian flags.

It did have white bar tape and saddle, then had Italian tricolour striped bar tape, which was overly tarty.

Now has celeste saddle, celeste bar tape and celeste bottle cages. have kept the italian stripe bar plugs
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • ride_whenever
    gtvlusso wrote:

8365256446_45564a9df5_b.jpg

8365276174_d3eeecfc83_b.jpg
  • rubertoe
    gtvlusso wrote:

8365256446_45564a9df5_b.jpg

8365276174_d3eeecfc83_b.jpg

Tart.

I like it.

• itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    I see your saddle is shoved right forward as is mine on one or two bikes, is that because your top tube or stem is too long?

and does that allow your knee to sit in the right place with respect to the BB?

I'm asking because although I had a bike fit i question the effectiveness of that fit on every bike i own.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • ride_whenever
    No.

I fitted the pro cx forks which were a lot longer than the original steel ones. So the whole frame rotated back around the rear wheel. I slammed the saddle forward to get myself over the bb enough to keep my knees happy and the bars and stem have been dropped enough to match.

Essentially I have very tight hip flexors so I run quite close to a TT position, all my bikes have the saddle as far forward as I can with a sensible drop.

Fit is a tricky question (i do all the fits in the shop here) I find flexibility is by far the most important issue, assuming size and limb proportion allow for a vaguely correct frame size. That said, the position of bars, stem, bb etc. should be consistent across your stable assuming they're all for similar uses.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    It's mostly my commuter that gives me bother and i suspect that's due to the MASSHOOF rucksack and 18 layers of clothes i'm usually wearing, all the rest fit pretty well give or take a mm
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • ride_whenever
    The rucksack is the issue probably! I used to have a 10kg bag (more than the bike!) but my back gave up so I suck in in a pannier (for two days) then I just gave up on carrying stuff to work! Now I just take cash, shop keys and my phone; I'm much faster for it :twisted:
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    Bar tape and saddle should both match the colour of the decals on the frame. No excuses.

Decals? Pfft. They come off, you know?

I say black, unless the oil, road-muck and aluminium oxide around your way are a different colour to mine...

Cheers,
    W.
  • ride_whenever
    Evidently, round here aluminium oxide is white :P