Seat care

blablablacksheep
blablablacksheep Posts: 1,377
edited January 2013 in Road beginners
Sounds silly, but the rails on which my lovely seat sits im worried about it rusting(can it rust?)

So what should i put on the rails to stock it sticking or rusting?? WD40 would be a bad idea as it would slip like hell so advice welcome.
London2Brighton Challange 100k!
http://www.justgiving.com/broxbourne-runners

Comments

• What are they made from?
  • its for my canyon CF SLX 2012 8, if that helps the seatpost is a selle italia but i have no idea what the rails are made from,
    London2Brighton Challange 100k!
    http://www.justgiving.com/broxbourne-runners
  • ForumNewbie
    ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
    I try to make sure my bikes don't rust by cleaning and lubing, but I have honestly never even considered the seat post rails. As they are under your seat, they are unlikely to get wet anyway!
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I doubt they'll be steel ? I've never had any of my rails rust.
  • bondurant
    bondurant Posts: 858
    I try to make sure my bikes don't rust by cleaning and lubing, but I have honestly never even considered the seat post rails. As they are under your seat, they are unlikely to get wet anyway!

This is only true if you have mudguards. Otherwise they will indeed get wet.
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,973
    I occasionally put leather cream on the actual seat. I wipe down the underneath of the saddle every time I clean it.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • ForumNewbie
    ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
    Bondurant wrote:

This is only true if you have mudguards. Otherwise they will indeed get wet.
    Fair point. I do have mudguards on my Audax bike which I use mostly in the wet. My newer road bike doesn't have mudguards, but my saddlebag rather than the seat rails, gets the brunt of any road water or dirt thrown up.