Rear facing helmet lights

ga02clr
ga02clr Posts: 97
edited January 2013 in Commuting general
I and a colleague are both looking at getting a rear helmet light. My bike has plenty of lights on but a helmet light would just finish off the Christmas tree effect.

What do people use and rate?

Price wise my colleague is at the cheaper end of the market I will consider just about anything within reason.

Thanks

Comments

• BigLights
    BigLights Posts: 464
    There was another thread on this in December, somewhere.

I've got an Exposure Joystick on a helmet mount, with the Redeye attachment at the back. it's blindingly bright (i've got another redeye under the seat, too). I frequently get comments from cabbies and motorbike couriers along the lines of 'cor blimey mate you can't miss you!' which is gratifying.

I do think a very bright helmet light is very effective....can be seen over cars, and over the lip of a hill, giving just that extra bit of visibility.
  • TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    Came across this the other day... I think it's currently out of stock, but at £15 you can't go far wrong.

Was given a good review in this article.
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    I've got a FibreFlare across the back of my helmet as the light emitted is visible in a bigger arc when viewed from behind, when you're riding you don't ride with your head flat all the time. Held in place with cableties and recently realised I can change the batteries, AAA, without removing the light from my helmet.

http://www.fibreflare.com/products/fibreflare-full-tai/
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • bromyG
    bromyG Posts: 59
    I've recently purchased one of these Topeak helment lights to complete the 'Christmas tree' effect:

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/top ... t-ec033840

Though small in size it is very bright and has several settings eg: flashing, not flashing etc.

Red Brompton S6L
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    I've got a Cateye that comes with a built in cord so you can tie it to the helmet, compact and light. Ideal second light.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • I tried one of the Topeak lights above that have both front and rear lights (£15ish), but found that it didn't hold up to the commute. It has good side visibility and the flashing modes catch people's attention, but it went through batteries quite quickly and every time I got caught in the rain it would fog up or stop working.

I've now got an older Bontrager Ember or Glo (can't remember which) light on the back and that's pretty bright, if slightly more directional. On the front of the helmet I have a Moon Mask 5 and that does a good job.

I think Blackburn do some pretty good rear lights that go with the flea set and are rechargeable and helmet mountable?
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    I don't think the Light & Motion Vis360 I have quite fits your bill as it's both front & rear (and side) but it is excellent. Maybe the Vis 180 would do the trick.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • I've had a few up there, smart 1/2 watt, little topeak things, Tesco cheapies. I've got Lezyne Femto ones now, compact & unobtrusive, easy to attach with a cable tie and bright without being blinding.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    I've had a few up there, smart 1/2 watt, little topeak things, Tesco cheapies. I've got Lezyne Femto ones now, compact & unobtrusive, easy to attach with a cable tie and bright without being blinding.

Femto lights are nice (I have a pair) but side visibility isn't great
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • I use a little Knog Frog red LED upside down on the back of my helmet. It's not overly bright but bright enough. I had a large collection of CR2032 batteries. The Femto lights by Lezyne are nice too (and use CR2032) so I have one these as well.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    BigLights wrote:
    There was another thread on this in December, somewhere.

I've got an Exposure Joystick on a helmet mount, with the Redeye attachment at the back. it's blindingly bright (i've got another redeye under the seat, too). I frequently get comments from cabbies and motorbike couriers along the lines of 'cor blimey mate you can't miss you!' which is gratifying.

I do think a very bright helmet light is very effective....can be seen over cars, and over the lip of a hill, giving just that extra bit of visibility.

thats fine if you are on open unlit roads, if you are in Town then not too bright and flashing is best.

Far too many people in London blinding following cyclists (and motorists) with stupidly bright lights
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem