Differences between rear derraileurs SRAM X4 and SRAM X5

uzapuca
uzapuca Posts: 103
edited January 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hi guys,

Can anyone tell me the "real" difference between rear derraileurs SRAM X4 and SRAM X5?

SRAM X4
http://www.sram.com/sram/mountain/produ ... derailleur

SRAM X5
http://www.sram.com/sram/mountain/produ ... derailleur

i would like to know if paying DOUBLE for the SRAM X5 is really worth it or is there a bit of marketing gimmick here. :?

Thanks for any info!

Cheers,

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    X5 will be lighter, may also have better bearings in the jockey wheel bearings or in pivot joints.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Hey, I managed to drag my x5 through my wheel the other day so I've salvaged an x4 off my spare bike (around 6 years old and left in a shed) and it runs fine-cant tell the difference between the two, x5 is probably made with better components but gear changes are crisp so I'm happy! Just gutted that I ordered an x7 with an x9 shifter thinking it would be better :? If I'd know it would ride so well with an x4 I would've bought two x4's for the same price tbh!
  • ElliesDad
    ElliesDad Posts: 245
    When I changed my Boardman Comp hard tail for a Boardman Team full susser I went from X5 to X7, it does feel a bit crisper but to be honest this could be a placebo effect of having a new bike! :) I find the X7 also needs less adjustment.
    2012 Boardman FS Team
    2014 Giant Defy 2
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    X5 will be lighter, may also have better bearings in the jockey wheel bearings or in pivot joints.

When I toom my son's X4 apart, I discovered that there arent any bearings in the jockey wheels...

Just Plastic spinning on a metal core with grease to help.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=49731
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Which is off course a bearing......not a ball or roller or ceramic but still a bearing!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • apreading
    ah - ok, sorry.

X4 seems waay inferior to my X9 jockeys (https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-NsyX ... wheels.JPG).

X4 seems to get crudded up very easily and even when clean dont spin freely the way my X9s do.

Not sure the X5 is any better though.
  • LJ.
    LJ. Posts: 149
    That x5 does 9 speed as well as 8 according to the spec sheet. There is a 10 speed x5 derailleur but that is a totally different part
  • uzapuca

Actually the X4 is 10 gr lighter, but for non professionals as i am i don't think that will do much difference. The better bearings and materials is something unknown to me since i have little idea of bike mechanics. :)
  • uzapuca
    apreading wrote:
    ah - ok, sorry.

X4 seems waay inferior to my X9 jockeys (https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-NsyX ... wheels.JPG).

X4 seems to get crudded up very easily and even when clean dont spin freely the way my X9s do.

Not sure the X5 is any better though.

Probably X4 is inferior to X9, but it is also 45 euros less expensive too. We are talking a way different class between both of them. Besides i have an 8 speed bike and the best model for the 8 Speed i can find it would be the X5. The question remains if the X5 derrallieur is worth paying double than the X4 for alleged better materials in the X5. :?
  • apreading
    If the difference is double then I would say no. Best comparison I have found for you is here: http://www.mtbr.com/cat/drivetrain/dera ... 16crx.aspx

"The differances between the x4, x5, and x7 are nothing to brag about. The x4 works great when properly adusted and I could not tell the difference between any of them. They all break at any aluminum part, from sticks in my case, and none of them have replacable parts, except for bearing/gears which don't really break. The part that will break on these is the aluminum knucle that bolts onto the replacable derailer hanger. The differance between the x4 and the x5 is that the x4 has one plastic bearing and one metal, while the x5 and x7 have two metal bearings and the x5 and x7 have an extra part for chain/cog height adjustment, all of them seem to have a very subtle design change."
  • uzapuca
    Thanks Apreading, that was a very interesting info! :D
    It seems that paying double for the X4 compared to the X5 is more a marketing angle than quality materials reason, right?
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    X4 and X5 have roller bearings but its from X7 up that get actual bearings.
  • I ran x5 derailleurs for years with no major probs until I fell off twice on Tarmac, the 1st time it could be bent back, 2nd of which it was FUBAR - should have replaced it 1st time. Was it better than X4? Dunno Is my new X7 better than the X5 it replaced? Yes. But that could be because it replaced knackered equipment but I'd like to think it is slightly better - plus it now matches the X7 shifters.

Wherever you are looking at X4 must be about £6 as I got the latest X7 rear derailleur from merlin cycles under £30? X5 is likely to be cheaper than £20.

Is the rest of your spec X4? At what price would you consider x5 or x7 or x9 over x4? Did x4 work ok for you and therefor ain't bothered really, it just needs replacing?

No derailleur is going to significantly improve your bike unless its replacing one that doesn't work!
    Family, Friends, Fantastic trails - what else is there

viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12898838
    viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12897374
  • uzapuca
    edited January 2013
    Greer_ wrote:
    X4 and X5 have roller bearings but its from X7 up that get actual bearings.

I suppose you mean X4 and X5's bearings are actually quite basic and rudimentary while X7 are way better, right? The problem is that cannot buy X7 because i have an 8 Speed bike and i will like to keep it 8 Speed. Thanks :D
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    Yep, but it won't make an awful lot of difference. It just means they can charge you more for replacement jockey wheels!
  • uzapuca
    Wherever you are looking at X4 must be about £6 as I got the latest X7 rear derailleur from merlin cycles under £30? X5 is likely to be cheaper than £20.

Acording to Chain Reaction website the cost of each one in pounds are
    SRAM X4= £17
    SRAM X5= £30
    SRAM X7= £35

My options are limited to X4 or X5 since i have an 8 Speed bike and i would like to keep it that way. X7 and so on are for 9 Speen onwards.

The specs of the according to its website are

SRAM X4 rear deraileurs
    Speeds 8/7 Speed
    Material Alloy B-knuckle , alloy outer link, Steel/Composite cage w/replaceable pulleys
    Weight 280g long cage
    Colors Silver, Black
    Outer Cage Steel
    Compatibility 1:1
    Inner Cage Grilon Composite
    Bearings Bushing
    Cage Sizes Long , Medium
    Technology Highlight(s) 1:1 actuation ratio

SRAM X5 rear derailleurs
    Speeds 9/8
    Material Alloy B-knuckle, Alloy outer link, High Strength Grilon® Composite P-knuckle, Serviceable precision pulleys, Steel cages
    Weight 299g long /290g medium
    Outer Cage Steel
    Inner Cage Steel
    Bearings Bushing
    Cage Sizes Long , Medium

As you can see weight is almos the same and the X5 has a High Strength Grilon® Composite P-knuckle and Serviceable precision pulleys while the X4 is Steel/Composite cage w/replaceable pulleys. I don't know how much of that difference that really makes to the whole issue and if it is worth it for a double the price. :?
  • uzapuca
    Greer_ wrote:
    Yep, but it won't make an awful lot of difference. It just means they can charge you more for replacement jockey wheels!

Thanks for the info Greer. :D
    Luckly it seems X4 is sold with a replacement jockey wheels set
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=49731
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Go cheap.
  • uzapuca
    Go cheap.

Thanks for the advice! :D