Best XC hardpack tires for a cushy ride

Tally Ho
Tally Ho Posts: 32
edited January 2013 in MTB buying advice
I ride a hardtail fitted with panaracer fire xc pro's 2.1 front and back (with tubes). I love the compliance or 'suspension' feel of them but they have too much rolling resistance. I ride half my time on dry single track hardpack/rocky conditions, and the other half on pavement trails through my local hills for fitness training. I want to find a faster rolling tire that grips well but offers some suspension /compliance too. I tried kendra small block 8's (tubes), and they were great for fast rolling and decent grip, but punctured too often at lower pressures allowing more compliance. When pumped up to 35 PSI or higher it stops the pinchflats but gives a harsh ride. What tire (must be tubed) has a good suspension feel, decent grip, and is reasonably fast rolling? And it would be nice if it has a decent puncture resistance too.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Why must it be tubed? If you go tubeless you can achieve exactly what you're after...

I'd say Racing Ralph Snakeskin 2.25".
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Wow, you are the first person I've ever heard suggest that Fire XC have too much rolling resistance!

How heavy are you? I'm 98kg and rarely pinch flat even when dropping pressures to 30psi. (I normally run 35-40psi on 2.0-2.2 width tyres which gives exactly the right balance of grip/deformation/comfort/rolling resistance.)

Njee's suggestion of Racing Ralph is a good one. Maxxis Advantage, WTB Mutano are other fast rolling offerings that have good volume.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • njee20 wrote:
    Why must it be tubed? If you go tubeless you can achieve exactly what you're after...

I'd say Racing Ralph Snakeskin 2.25".

Tubed because I don't think my wheels Shimano MT 15's run tubeless?...and also the hassle of setting up tubeless myself. I ride a lot and get through a rear Kendra small block 8 every 2 months (mostly due to half of it being on very hilly (occasionaly very steep!) pavement) so if the hassle of going tubeless (I'd have to do it myself as there is no bike shop nearby) would last for several months then maybe, but changing tires every couple of months seems an added hassle with tubelss. Thanks for the Racing Ralph suggestion though, sounds a good option.
  • Tally Ho
    Tally Ho Posts: 32
    edited January 2013
    Wow, you are the first person I've ever heard suggest that Fire XC have too much rolling resistance!

How heavy are you? I'm 98kg and rarely pinch flat even when dropping pressures to 30psi. (I normally run 35-40psi on 2.0-2.2 width tyres which gives exactly the right balance of grip/deformation/comfort/rolling resistance.)

Njee's suggestion of Racing Ralph is a good one. Maxxis Advantage, WTB Mutano are other fast rolling offerings that have good volume.

apologies if I was not clear in my explanation, the pinch flat and tire pressures i mentioned were about the kendra small block 8's. On the panaracer fire xc pro's, I had no problem with punctures, but compared to the small block 8's especially on the pavement sections.... they are like being glued to the road, they really drag by comparison. I Imagine the fire xc's are terrific for UK conditions where it will be a little softer terrain but for here in Hong Kong with its dry climate where we don't get mud, just rocky hardpack, they are not in their element. A great tire...but a little too knobbly for here.
    And I weigh 77kg but the small block 8's definately pinch flat more easily below 35 PSI, a few others here have had the same issue until going to 35PSI or above, and that resolved it.
    Appreciate the suggestions...those three tires seem a good option.
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Ah, with you now!

Never used small block 8s so couldn't comment. I do use the Mutano, I discovered it on trips to Canada and the US where there's a lot of dry, rocky, gravelly riding. I set it up tubeless but it's a fantastically fast rolling tyre, good volume (despite only using the 2.2) and very grippy edges.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • +1 for Racing Ralphs.
    They are my go-to tyres for the summer months.
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)