Single chainring ??

RandG
RandG Posts: 779
edited January 2013 in MTB buying advice
Looking at buying a 29er and there is one on ebay at the mo with just a 33 single chainring, and I'm just no sure :?

Any thoughts/opinions of pros and cons of a single ??

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    If you regularly use the high and low end of your gear range with a triple then you will not like it as you'll lose them.
  • RandG
    Don't use the high end much, regular low, ye.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I can live happily without the big ring, but I do love my granny.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    RandG wrote:
    Don't use the high end much, regular low, ye.

In that case forget it. Go for a triple.
  • RandG
    supersonic wrote:
    In that case forget it. Go for a triple.

I'm not convinced with a triple, double ye, but the triple never seems to get used on the big ring. Just thinking out loud if a compromise ring would do the job.....say a 27 ??
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I doubt it, you'd be spinning out at pretty low speeds. If it's cheap enough you can change the crank,add mech and shifters etc, but...
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    27 is just a bit bigger than a granny ring, you'd miss a bigger ring on downs and even the flats. Somewhere around 32 to 36 is normal for a 1x set up. I'm going 32 on my 1x hardtail I'm currently building.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    If you can't stay in the middle 32t chainring for the majority of the time, then no, you shouldn't go for a single chainring, as anything lower than this and you spin out all too easily and its just plain stupid riding round with a 28t or 27t chainring... anyone that does this which such a small chainring is clearly unfit and just wants to fit in with the latest trend .... :roll:
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    You may regulartily use the granny, but unless you are using the lowest 2 gears at the back as well you could get the same gear ratio in the middle ring.....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • widge34
    widge34 Posts: 900
    I run a 1x10 setup and love it. 34t on front with largest cog on rear being 36t. I climb some pretty steep climbs without a problem. wouldnt go back to double or triple. lightens the bike as well.
    ----
    Widge.

Bird Zero 2
    Trek Madone 3.5c H2 2013