Shimano FC M531

MountainMonster
MountainMonster Posts: 7,423
edited January 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hey guys, i've got this chainset on my bike, and upon trying to take the chainrings off, I found it wasn't possible to get the chain rings off the set without removing the arms. Is this true, or am I missing something blatant?

Do I really have to invest in a crank puller just to change out chain rings?

Comments

• jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    You should be able to undo the bolts holding the chainrings onto the spider without taking the cranks off (four hold on the outer and middle rings onto either side of the spider and another four hold the granny ring on from the inside). Might be a bit fiddly, but should definitely be do-able.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Yes, I seem to remember not bring able to take the rings off when I had mine on. A crank puller is only about a fiver though
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    You certainly can't do the granny without removing the crank, trouble is to do the middle you usually can't get the bolts out past the granny so you need to remove the cranks to remove the granny to get the bolts out to take the middles off. The outer you can do!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • I got all the bolts off, but that is annoying about having to take the crank arms off. Oh well, i'll get crank pullers tomorrow then.
  • The Rookie
    Perhaps you can suggest how they could have designed it such that the arm could stay on, I can't, so figure they've done what had to be done!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The crankset I had back in Austria made it possible to get the chainrings off without dismantling everything. Cant remember for the life of me which one it was though.
  • The Rookie
    As the BCD of the middle and outer means the outer bolts overlap the granny it will either have been different BCD, or only twin ring.
  • As the BCD of the middle and outer means the outer bolts overlap the granny it will either have been different BCD, or only twin ring.

It was a twin ring, and i was able to get them over the spider somehow. Ive now gone and made a bit of a bugger with the puller, cant get the damn thing screwed in enough now, and its stuck to the arm to ull it out. What a mess and I dont have any wrenches to get it back open.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Yeah, meant to mention that. Make sure the threads are clean and you start it by hand as they are very easy to fubar.
  • The Rookie
    Usually jams screwing in if the pusher bit is wound out (into the puller body) to far, wind that back and see if hat fixes it....