gtvlusso
gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
edited March 2013 in Commuting chat
Anyone else in?

http://audax.lvis.org.uk/

Comments

• DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    I did the short one last year; would like to try the longer one this year.

Great event; good food & friendly atmosphere- recommended. Also v.v. reasonable.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,632
    Possible LEL training! Would be easy to convince the wife as her parents are in Bristol.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • gtvlusso
    I am doing the short one this year - will be helping with signing in before the start!
  • Ian.B
    Ian.B Posts: 732
    Sounds interesting! (The short one, that is.) Pardon my ignorance, but how does an audax differ from a sportive?
  • pangolin
    Cheaper! In theory it's non competitive, so no timing chips etc. There is a minimum as well as a maximum time (though over more than 100k almost anyone would struggle to trouble the minimum time limits).

There is more eating generally. At controls usually there is decent food. Bit more relaxed overall. Tends to be an older crowd, my friend and I did a couple last year and we were very much in the minority being in our 20's.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • gtvlusso
    As Pangolin has stated:

More relaxed, friendly non racing atmosphere. Cake stops on route, you have to self navigate and get your brevet card stamped at each checkpoint to complete the route.

You do get a few racers, but that kinda misses the point.
  • I've never fully understood Audax so not for me, but that said the mad things like LEL or PBP do appeal. First off surely you need grow a beard and buy a Dawes Galaxy?
    If I know you, and I like you, you can borrow my bike box for £30 a week. PM for details.
  • pangolin
    Well, as you say, you haven't understood :)
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • DrLex
    Ha!
    Thank to Rob, I now have the ideal cap for this year's jaunt around the metropolis.

(The cake is certainly not a lie)
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    According to my contact a 1/3 of the places have gone already and entries only opened on Tuesday.

Did it last year, excellent cake provision.
  • gtvlusso
    edited January 2013
    I've never fully understood Audax so not for me, but that said the mad things like LEL or PBP do appeal. First off surely you need grow a beard and buy a Dawes Galaxy?

There is no much to understand - you pay, you sign in, you ride, younavigate, you eat cake, your ride, you eat more cake, you navigate, you finish.

You have to qualify for the PBP - you have to do a 200km Audax and build up; only by doing qualifying audaxes can you enter PBP.

LEL is just a straight entry.

Anyway, you may enjoy one - You can race it if you want. Allot of the Triathlon crowd do them as a training run.
  • Ian.B
    So, very similar but kind of a bit quainter and less competitive than a sportive? Sounds like my cup of tea and slice of cake.
    pangolin wrote:
    ....and we were very much in the minority being in our 20's.
    this wouldn't be an issue for me...
  • Ian.B
    OK, I've signed up. Though looking at the lvis website I'm beginning to wonder if the whole thing is a spoof!
  • gtvlusso
    Ian.B wrote:
    OK, I've signed up. Though looking at the lvis website I'm beginning to wonder if the whole thing is a spoof!

It is legit - I am an LVIS'ite. It is all true.

The club, really, comes out of a fellowship formed by some senior rowers at City of Bristol Rowing club, they were all interested in cycling and formed LVIS. Nah, really it was all to do with Barry and his vision of athletic prowess.
  • the_fuggler
    the_fuggler Posts: 1,228
    Humph. Next year. Wedding to attend. Bah.
    FCN 3 / 4
  • Ian.B
    gtvlusso wrote:
    Ian.B wrote:

It is legit - I am an LVIS'ite. It is all true.

The club, really, comes out of a fellowship formed by some senior rowers at City of Bristol Rowing club, they were all interested in cycling and formed LVIS. Nah, really it was all to do with Barry and his vision of athletic prowess.

May the memory of Barry live on!
  • DrLex
    Finally got around to entering tonight and received entry #470, so there's scant few places left, if anyone's wavering!
    (350 @ 116km, 150 @ 214km)
    Additionally, as my mates are either away or doing LEJoG, anyone need a domestique/wheelman?
  • tetm
    tetm Posts: 564
    Yep, I'm in. 214km route.
  • gtvlusso
    Well, If anyone wants to say 'hi'

I will be doing the sign in's in the Village Hall in Ashton. I will have a black 'buff' on my head with world champ stripes on it......probably wearing a grey 'Rutgers' hoodie.

Out on the road, I will be on the Aende:

IMG_0114.jpg

Please introduce yourself. I may lend you my stirrup pump....... :shock:
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    pervert
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Anyone know if this is still going ahead? Weather looks pretty treacherous (not bad, per se, just concerned about icy decents).
  • DrLex
    It's Bristol, not Borders! Yes; it went ahead, although the 216km crew set off a little earlier, to avoid another event in Ashton Court. Alas, I'd had to hand back my place last month, otherwise I'd be feeling tired but virtuous, rather than tired and wistful.