is this shock on the wrong way around?

welshkev
welshkev Posts: 9,690
edited January 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
i was just browsing ebay and i saw this, is the shock on upside down or does it not make a difference?

$(KGrHqV,!pcFCp)55,H5BQ5G1QV6Vw~~60_12.JPG

Comments

• njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    It is, but it doesn't matter.

That bike would have come with a Spesh AFR shock, they've obviously changed it to the Fox, so perhaps it doesn't fit 'right' way up - looks like it may foul the linkage.
  • lugsey2k5
    lugsey2k5 Posts: 960
    Bit of a bugger to switch pro pedal off on the fly though.
  • njee20
    It's about 4" further to reach, not the end of the world.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    As the Spesh rear design isn't as critical on pro-pedal anyway........
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • lugsey2k5
    lugsey2k5 Posts: 960
    Still, id rather not be reaching to the bottom bracket to switch it on and off, although yes still doable its just not as practical.
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    As the Spesh rear design isn't as critical on pro-pedal anyway........
    Load of rubbish, FSR needs pro pedal moreso than most designs.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    FSR has almost no anti squat - hardly any pedal kickback, but bobs like mad under power.
  • njee20
    Agreed. The FSRs of old, whilst being a nice plush design, were like pogo sticks. Pro-Pedal shocks made them great!
  • MarkLG
    MarkLG Posts: 189
    I noticed this one on ebay as well.
    Yes the shock is upside down, but of more concern is that it's too long for the frame. On these frames the pivot at the top of the seatstays should in line with the seattube. The shock won't go in the right way up because the suspension is over extended and there's not enough clearance around the top mount.
    The bike must ride like crap - the BB will be way too high and the linkage geometry will be all wrong.
    None of the kit on the bike looks original, and from the pictures is all pretty low rent stuff - probably one to avoid, even if it is cheap :wink:
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,170
    It is fitted upside down but there a bikes from Trek, if memory serves me well and possibly cannondale ?, that have them fitted like that so it cannot be an issue.
  • MarkLG
    MarkLG Posts: 189
    02GF74 wrote:
    It is fitted upside down but there a bikes from Trek, if memory serves me well and possibly cannondale ?, that have them fitted like that so it cannot be an issue.

The upsidedownness of the shock isn't the problem in itself. The problem is why it's been put in that way - ie it's too long for the frame.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Looking at the photo, the BB looks much higher than the rear axle which also sugests as you say that the shock is too long (most bikes the BB is just below to level with the rear axle).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • luk3
    luk3 Posts: 35
    lookng a the pic just above the shock it looks like somthing has rubbed the frame
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    cheers guys, i wasn't looking at buying it, just general browsing and it got me thinking as to whether it mattered it was on upside down :D
  • DCR00
    DCR00 Posts: 2,160
    if its an older shock, the air valve gets in the way of the linkage. I had the same problem with the Fox R shock i bought for my FSR. I just had the shock mounted so that the rebound adjuster sat inside the linkage (was a b*gger to adjust).

Mounting it upside down would also get around this
  • njee20
    So to summarise:

1) generally no it doesn't as long as it's still the right shock
    2) in this instance it does, because it's clearly the wrong shock

:-)